Ethics for writing poetry - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ethics for writing poetry

Quote Originally Posted by clark View Post
    How can one write from a platform other than one's own experience. Perhaps there is some confusion about "experience":

(today I walked two miles of city streets in my bare feet. When I got where I was going, my feet were cut, bruised, filthy, and aching terribly)

OR

(today I spoke with a man who walked two miles of city streets in his bare feet. He ended up suffering a lot of damage and pain, and he spoke with me in great detail about how deeply he was affected by this experience.)

That conversation is as much a part of my experience as is my own walk.

Heisenberg (1924) came up with his simple Uncertainty Principle', which distills down to: in any observation, experiment, quantitative analysis, or description we cannot enumerate the 'component' elements as though they occupied a reality 'out there', objectively separate from us, which we will now 'look at'. No, H contended, the scientist must add as an actual component in the data . . . themselves. Without getting into an arcane discussion about vestigial empiricism in the early 20th C, what H brought home to me is that there is no Objective Reality. Thinkers weld language units to phenomena or puzzles that they want to know about, just so that conversation is possible. Good . . .evil; hot . . . cold; simple . . . complex; reality . . .illusion. None of these great dichotomies exists in a plane free of the human minds that explore them. And a tree that falls in the forest 100 miles from a human ear does NOT make a noise. Faith is the only platform from which one could assert it does.

The imagination that brings forth the experience of love to a person who has never loved is that person's experience of love. And however addle-headed and just plain stupid WE may find their experience of love, they have every right to put it out there . To use it in their creative work.
    Wow!!! What an elaborate explanation. True if somebody else shares his/ her experience, it too becomes part of our own experience and then perspective formed out of that is no way different from our own experience of that, because we trust him/her words.
    Thanks a lot sir, for telling about this new perspective.

Ritu

Quote Originally Posted by ritudimrinautiyal View Post
    Is it ethically wrong, to write poetry on your own personal experiences, for the reason, it may have a bias of your only perspective?
    Hi ,

Thank you for sharing, I had thought the same at one point. For me it was just not overthinking your content you share.
    If it comes from your heart and soul.
    And you are perfectly happy with it then all forms of poetry help everyone in some way or other.
    Itís therapy and bravery to share your personal unfiltered emotions.

Thank you.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by Jk_Sl View Post
    Hi ,

Thank you for sharing, I had thought the same at one point. For me it was just not overthinking your content you share.
    If it comes from your heart and soul.
    And you are perfectly happy with it then all forms of poetry help everyone in some way or other.
    It’s therapy and bravery to share your personal unfiltered emotions.

Thank you.

J.
    I agree with you Jk_Sl
    Thanks
    Ritu

Personal experience is the heart of my work and I understand your concern, but you're allowed to feel some sort of way about your exchanges and you're allowed to convey them in this form.

Some of my best work has been about friends who faded out of my life, interests that did not go anywhere, and lost love. Out of respect and for our privacy, I keep it vague enough that they might recognize the undertones, but to anyone else it would just come across as a story. Therefore; it feels appropriate to share without filtering the ideas I am trying to convey.

Quote Originally Posted by Kehlida View Post
    Personal experience is the heart of my work and I understand your concern, but you're allowed to feel some sort of way about your exchanges and you're allowed to convey them in this form.

Some of my best work has been about friends who faded out of my life, interests that did not go anywhere, and lost love. Out of respect and for our privacy, I keep it vague enough that they might recognize the undertones, but to anyone else it would just come across as a story. Therefore; it feels appropriate to share without filtering the ideas I am trying to convey.
    I agree with you kehilda
    Thanks for sharing your views

Ritu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12