bird seed foodbank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bird seed foodbank

bird seed foodbank

I bought 1 kg of wild bird seed instead of my usual dried mealworms with the hope that other birds apart from starlings might make an appearance...today I went out to brush the previous deposit of birdseed away because no birds seem at all interested in it but it was all frozen...so I decided maybe the seeds are to big so I put some in my coffee blender and gave it a few pulses...then I put it out and still no takers..just a magpie and starling turn up have a look around then fly off without a nibble...if I put bread out I get seagulls and mealworm just buckloads of starlings..I was hoping for a robin or a piedwagtail but nothing... considering the ground is frozen the birds in my area are pretty hard to please and I'm getting annoyed at my 1kg bag that could be with me for a long time.
    The only one who can heal you is you.

I feed Black oiler Sunflower seeds and blocks of suet... Wrens, Bluejays, chickadees, and Nuthatches are just a few of the birds that visit my feeder ... I am not happy when a flock of starlings descend on my feeders, they clean me out...
    She lost herself in the trees,
    among the ever-changing leaves.
    She wept beneath the wild sky
    as stars told stories of ancient times.
    The flowers grew toward her light,
    the river called her name at night.
    She could not live an ordinary life,
    with the mysteries of the universe
    hidden in her eyes....
    Author: Christy Ann Martine

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

Starlings are the yobs of the bird world...it's a wonder they don't have small caps and huddies on when they turn up in gangs...whats plural for a group of starlings..T birds

Different birds like different foods, specially in winter. Go to the RSPB website for guidance on the requirements of "Garden" birds. A dusting of chilli powder on nuts and seeds tends to deter squirrels (birds can't taste it).
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

Never seen a squirrel...I have dogs being walked,cats walking over the garages,seagulls,ravens,blackbirds,bus loads of starlings..few pigeons in the trees.. I'm not expecting much for me 1.7 kg bag of seed but I'm not buying anything else until it's all been eaten...

Robin red Brest turned up today...it's are national bird I think....

Those black oil sunflower seeds that Fire mentioned are very popular around here and really attract. I do have to grease the poles on the feeders to keep the squirrels from getting into them. I never heard of the chili dusting method that Bloggsworth mentioned. I will have to try that.
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka

Squirrels have to eat to

Quote Originally Posted by escorial View Post
    Robin red Brest turned up today...it's are national bird I think....
    Is that the one from France?
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

He didn't have a berry on...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast