2021 Banished Word list (including phrases) - Page 3

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Banished Word list (including phrases)

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    No worries.
    Wouldn't that pretty much end the possibility of having a conversation in Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Istine View Post
    "Tell me about it," when you don't actually mean "tell me about it", but are merely reinforcing what someone else has just said. I find it acceptable if someone genuinely means that they're willing to listen.
    I guess this has functionally been replaced by "IKR?" in text and "I know, right?" in speech. But I still use "tell me about it" especially when I don't wanna hear about it.

"Way to go." This one I find irritating. It's not a Brit phrase, but I believe it to be in common use in many parts of the USA. I think it's meant to mean something like "well done". I first heard it from a Texan guy I knew who was living in the UK some years BI (Before Internet). We were all in the pub together and he came out with "way to go" (and added a "man" on as we were all trainee hippies and pissheads). To a dude we asked "WTF you going on about?"
    You can't take my "Way to go!" Whether well-meant or ladled with sarcasm it's a necessary evil!

In politics particularly, a lot of people this past year have liked to accuse other people of having 'blood on their hands' over one screw up or another. Not sure if that's new or I just started noticing it. Either way, I am getting a little tired of all the blood.
    Deactivated due to staff trolling. Bye!

"Yeah, no."
    This esoteric midwestern phrase, roughly translated as "Yeah, I know," or "Yes, it is true," is generally used to affirm the speaker's agreement with the opinion or statement in question; however, it can also be used as a transitional phrase between two different topics of conversation. Most scholars consider the latter usage to be a product of Minnesotan politeness: the speaker is obligated to affirm the value of his partner's statement before moving on to his own opinions.
    Nail it to the Cross

Nother (or maybe nuther)

For instance, when people say "that is a whole nother story" or "there is a whole nother vial of the antidote."

"Going forward ... "
    For pity's sake, if you mean "from now on..." just say so.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Istine View Post
    "Going forward ... "
    For pity's sake, if you mean "from now on..." just say so.
    If you're writing dialogue for marketeers, clueless managers, or other preppy types, using that phrase adds legitimacy to your character.

Quote Originally Posted by BornForBurning View Post
    "Yeah, no."
    This esoteric midwestern phrase, roughly translated as "Yeah, I know," or "Yes, it is true," is generally used to affirm the speaker's agreement with the opinion or statement in question; however, it can also be used as a transitional phrase between two different topics of conversation. Most scholars consider the latter usage to be a product of Minnesotan politeness: the speaker is obligated to affirm the value of his partner's statement before moving on to his own opinions.
    I actually use this term a lot. Not sure that's a good thing...but I use it in a slightly different way than you describe. For me, it would be more like someone was telling me about naked bungy jumping, and how they heard it was good for your health. I would say, "Yeah, no" as an emphatic way of saying maybe, but it's not for me. I don't really see that as a transitional phrase, because I'm not trying to change the topic.
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by The Cynical Philosopher View Post
    Nother (or maybe nuther)

For instance, when people say "that is a whole nother story" or "there is a whole nother vial of the antidote."

Blame this guy.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

The first cut don't hurt at all
    The second only makes you wonder
    The third will have you on your knee
    s
    - Propaganda, "Duel"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast