What is the best word count for a novel? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the best word count for a novel?

Quote Originally Posted by EternalGreen View Post
    Thrillers are usually 90-100 thousand words.
    Thanks for your response! I am aiming in that range now. And trying to be on the lower side since I am a first time novelist.
    Last edited by Taylor; January 16th, 2021 at 02:31 AM.
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
    Coincidently, I have just watched a few videos on YouTube of an Agent speaking about word counts amongst other things. 80,000 words does tend to be the average, and most agents/ publishers would be put off by a word count much less than 70,000. The maximum mentioned was 130k and above as it's asking a lot from readers. But as already pointed out, for already established authors a lengthier novel is not as much of a risk if they already have a fan base etc.
    Thanks for the confirmation. It's good to know the average. Originally, I was shooting for 70,000. But I'm leaning more towwards 80,000 now. I think it is still low enough not to scare off publishers.
    Last edited by Taylor; January 16th, 2021 at 02:32 AM.
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation. It's good to know the average. Originally, I was shooting for 70,000. But I'm leaning more towwards 80,000 now. I think it is still low enough not to scare off publishers.
    Yes I think you should be safe with 80,000 from what I have read.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12