Who Goes Here?

Thread: Who Goes Here?

Who Goes Here?

Why it's me of course, finally made it thanks to Carole.
    I cannot do much more than this at the minutes, so what do I need to know folks?

Quote Originally Posted by trubbshore View Post
    Why it's me of course, finally made it thanks to Carole.
    I cannot do much more than this at the minutes, so what do I need to know folks?
    Hi Trubbshore relieved you finally managed to log on. Welcome!

What do you need to know? What would you like to know? What inspired you to join WF?

Do you enjoy writing poetry or fiction? What is your preferred genre?

Carole
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check out my personal blog, Hidden Content

Well, you write a neat title, that is something a lot of us have problems with. What do you need?

You need to know the rules, worth having a read through, you need ten posts, that will open up the forum to you as a full member and allow you to post your work in the workshops, and I would say you need to know it is worth exploring writing discussion thoroughly. A lot of questions you might ask have probably been been asked previously, and some you have not thought of yet. Of course not every thread will be relevant, but there is a lot of good stuff there.
    37 videos so far up from 36, added 'moonlight holder' today, 19 Feb.
    Hidden Content

Dear Carole,
    I write Science Fiction, Distopian Sport Romance, Poetry and Fantasy.
    What do you write?

Dear Olly,
    I actually never start writing until I have the title.
    How do you?

No, I start with an idea, usually something out of life. I was looking through my videos the other day for example (See my signature) and remembered when I wrote 'Golden Hour'. There was a nasty RTA outside our house and the missus was home alone. She is a practical person and decided to do a first aid course after the experience. Of course I added in lots of stuff from other occasions and incidents, both ours and other people's, but that was the basis that kicked it off.

Even when I have written a sf story like 'Changelings' it was triggered by learning about haploid, diploid and triploid cells in plant reproduction and realising one day the apple will leave the tree behind, so what would a plant's reaction be to a threat to its environment as opposed to an animal?

Titles are an afterthought, and I often find them really difficult, I think 'Yard dog' was the only one that just jumped out at me.

Love your avatar btw, she is very pretty.
    Last edited by Olly Buckle; January 25th, 2021 at 01:27 PM.
    37 videos so far up from 36, added 'moonlight holder' today, 19 Feb.
    Hidden Content

Dear Olly,
    I actually never start writing until I have the title.
    How do you?
    Hello and welcome aboard. I very seldom start with a title. I do if I've already gone through the whole story in my head but that's rare. I'll put a placeholder title down and then rely on the story itself to provide the real title.
    Just An Ordinary Bloke, Doing Ordinary Things, In An Extraordinary World.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyAz View Post
    Hello and welcome aboard. I very seldom start with a title. I do if I've already gone through the whole story in my head but that's rare. I'll put a placeholder title down and then rely on the story itself to provide the real title.
    I think it essential that one has the whole story written in note form, before commencing the manuscript.
    One reason I have never had writers block or written myself into a scenario I could not subsequently get out of.
    Title - Cover - Plot notes - write manuscript.
    try it?

I think it essential that one has the whole story written in note form, before commencing the manuscript.
    One reason I have never had writers block or written myself into a scenario I could not subsequently get out of.
    Title - Cover - Plot notes - write manuscript.
    try it?
    I only write it in note form if I'm tackling a novel, although after three failed attempts I'm certain I still didn't write enough down. I tended to let the whole thing get away from me. With short stories I have a basic idea and broaden it while writing, trying to keep the core idea central with the character deciding any side activities. If my character starts going off the rails, I'll go back and rewrite the character slightly to make sure that particular trait no longer exists or add a trait that would stop them reacting in a less than helpful way.
    Just An Ordinary Bloke, Doing Ordinary Things, In An Extraordinary World.

Clawdius Maxipus

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    No, I start with an idea, usually something out of life. I was looking through my videos the other day for example (See my signature) and remembered when I wrote 'Golden Hour'. There was a nasty RTA outside our house and the missus was home alone. She is a practical person and decided to do a first aid course after the experience. Of course I added in lots of stuff from other occasions and incidents, both ours and other people's, but that was the basis that kicked it off.

Even when I have written a sf story like 'Changelings' it was triggered by learning about haploid, diploid and triploid cells in plant reproduction and realising one day the apple will leave the tree behind, so what would a plant's reaction be to a threat to its environment as opposed to an animal?

Titles are an afterthought, and I often find them really difficult, I think 'Yard dog' was the only one that just jumped out at me.

Love your avatar btw, she is very pretty.
    I told Clawdius Maxipus that you called him a she:- Be afraid - very afraid