Article: Avoid Deus ex Machina with foreshadowing

Thread: Article: Avoid Deus ex Machina with foreshadowing

Article: Avoid Deus ex Machina with foreshadowing

Not sure if this is the right place for this post - hopefully the mods will forgive and move it to its appropriate locations if otherwise.

A good article that was posted by my local writer group.
    Avoid Deus ex Machina with foreshadowing

The Indiana Jones one is a good example, but sometimes I feel that foreshadowing is overused, and there should be more maximum surprise in fiction as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
    The Indiana Jones one is a good example, but sometimes I feel that foreshadowing is overused, and there should be more maximum surprise in fiction as well.
    The trick is to keep the foreshadowing subtle.

Yeah true. Since I write screenplays, I usually go by movies as examples, but one movie where I saw the big reveal coming a mile away was Get Out (2017). If they just wouldn't have foreshadowed it at all, or at least been much more subtle about it, that would have helped for example.

Good article, I linked another writer-friend before I was even halfway through it, LOL. I hadn't really thought of sorting through details, clues, and skills like that. Very helpful!