Waiting for promised contract

Thread: Waiting for promised contract

Waiting for promised contract

Hi, I was offered a contract on 26 November and have yet to see it. I know these things take time and with the holiday season on us, I thought I'd wait until mid-January to chase up. Does anybody know what a decent time frame would be?
    Find me at Hidden Content

A contract with whom and for what?

I'm afraid we're going to need more specifics than what you've given here.
    Last edited by Sam; December 28th, 2020 at 11:09 PM.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

Contracts typically go through your agent for traditional publishing, most legitimate publishers don't deal with the author directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Contracts typically go through your agent for traditional publishing, most legitimate publishers don't deal with the author directly.
    That presupposes the OP has an agent.

I've been traditionally published in the past and didn't have one until recently.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

As this is a traditional publication forum, I assumed I didn't have to say much. A traditional (independent, not the Big Five) publisher has accepted my novel - no agent - but has yet to give me the contract. The last thing I heard was 'I'll get a contract going.' I know the publisher has been around for quite a few years and there are no issues with it as such.

So, the question again is, what is a decent time from acceptance (we want to publish) for me to start chasing this publisher?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    A contract with whom and for what?

I'm afraid we're going to need more specifics than what you've given here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    That presupposes the OP has an agent.

I've been traditionally published in the past and didn't have one until recently.
    That's why I said "typically".

You did, and I understood that. Indeed I know that. However, my question was not about agents.

Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    That's why I said "typically".

Unless the publisher gave you a date in the future, I would reach out in the next week or so and follow-up and just ask when they'd be sending contract. Most small publishers have limited staff so sometimes a respectful, non-agressive nudge/poke helps. And at least you get a timeframe established. Congrats!

Thank you TKent. I'll take your advice. Perhaps a little later in January when the world wakes from its festive torpor, I'll drop the publisher a carefully worded, polite line. Ta.

QUOTE=TKent;2322796]Unless the publisher gave you a date in the future, I would reach out in the next week or so and follow-up and just ask when they'd be sending contract. Most small publishers have limited staff so sometimes a respectful, non-agressive nudge/poke helps. And at least you get a timeframe established. Congrats![/QUOTE]