Tips on writing scenes for an aromantic heroine? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tips on writing scenes for an aromantic heroine?

Quote Originally Posted by ArrowInTheBowOfTheLord View Post
    Yes, I also think it's disrespectful. I am against most rape scenes in stories. That's why I ask if you really need it. What makes your scene different from those other rape scenes that you're against? What makes your scene not disrespectful? I'd be very very careful about having a scene like this because the vast majority of rape (or attempted rape) scenes are disrespectful. Ultimately, if you don't absolutely need it for the story, including it is disrespectful because it's putting your character through something awful for no reason.

Also, no woman would "let that kind of thing slide", if they could help it. It doesn't demonstrate any special independence on your character's part if she resists -- it just shows she is combat-trained.
    I wish all books/movies/shows cut out rape scenes, it truly is disrespectful to women. I'm a man and I get super offended by a rape scene because the woman never defends herself, she just lets it happen (see Game of Thrones). I was against doing such a scene, but only considered an "attempted" scene to show my heroine can defend herself. Truly, more women should be raised to be strong like their male counterparts. They should be combat trained.

Quote Originally Posted by Backstroke_Italics View Post
    I agree with both of you that rape scenes in stories are a "if you don't have a strong reason for it, steer clear" situation. Too many authors use rape as an easy way to inject drama into their story when they're out of ideas. Exploiting people's trauma as a writing crutch is certainly disrespectful. On the other hand, I do think it can be done in a respectful way by someone who knows what they're doing (that person isn't me, so I never include sexual violence in my writing).

But I don't think the reason these scenes are disrespectful is because they "don't show women fighting back." How a person responds to sexual violence will vary. Especially when the perpetrator is known to them, a victim may decide their best option is to go along with it. Lots of spousal rape takes this form, for example. Acknowledging that not all sexual violence involves a masked fiend ambushing a woman who tried to key him in the eyes is fine. But no matter what kind of assault it is, you shouldn't write about it if you're not certain that you have something meaningful and worthwhile to say about it, and you can do it properly.
    If I was a woman and some man attempted to rape me, I would crack that man's head open and split it into two. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganaPendragon25 View Post
    I wish all books/movies/shows cut out rape scenes, it truly is disrespectful to women. I'm a man and I get super offended by a rape scene because the woman never defends herself, she just lets it happen (see Game of Thrones). I was against doing such a scene, but only considered an "attempted" scene to show my heroine can defend herself. Truly, more women should be raised to be strong like their male counterparts. They should be combat trained.
    Isn't there a different/better way of showing she can defend herself? I don't know your story, but I suggest it because I see we agree that rape scenes ~99.999% of the time should be cut.
    In my mouth, if there be sweetness,
    It has come from my Creator;
    If my hands are filled with beauty,
    All the beauty comes from God.
    ~ from The Kalevala (paraphrased)

Whom have I in heaven but You?
    And earth has nothing I desire besides You.

~ Psalm 73:25

Christ is risen from the dead,
    trampling on Death by death,
    And on those in the tombs,
    lavishing light.

I swear, every time I see this thread title, I think: "Perfume?"

You only have to remove one letter ...

Too many authors use rape as an easy way to inject drama into their story when they're out of ideas.
    As a sidenote, I have a similar issue with violently murdering the kid/parent/girlfriend because we need to 'up the stakes.' Not that no one can do this correctly, because of course some can and have. 'The problem' is, like many things, it's often used as a way to conjure up artificial emotion that wouldn't be warranted otherwise. Ala Anakin killing the younglings in Revenge of the Sith. Your reaction has very little to do with either Anakin or the younglings, or the proceeding plot. You just get emotional because he, ya know, killed a kid.

but honestly, if you want to become a writer, the best thing to do is stop posting in WD and just write a ton. You'll make mistakes, but you'll also learn.

I swear, every time I see this thread title, I think: "Perfume?"
    "Her ravenblack hair stormed about her, reeking with the scent of death and lilacs" and all that.

Nail it to the Cross

Quote Originally Posted by ArrowInTheBowOfTheLord View Post
    Isn't there a different/better way of showing she can defend herself? I don't know your story, but I suggest it because I see we agree that rape scenes ~99.999% of the time should be cut.
    That's my intention. I will not do an "attempted rape" scene. I feel any sort of rape scene is extremely disrespectful to women. So I will make sure my heroine defends herself in a physical fight with a male opponent and she'll rip and tear him into two!

Quote Originally Posted by BornForBurning View Post
    As a sidenote, I have a similar issue with violently murdering the kid/parent/girlfriend because we need to 'up the stakes.' Not that no one can do this correctly, because of course some can and have. 'The problem' is, like many things, it's often used as a way to conjure up artificial emotion that wouldn't be warranted otherwise. Ala Anakin killing the younglings in Revenge of the Sith. Your reaction has very little to do with either Anakin or the younglings, or the proceeding plot. You just get emotional because he, ya know, killed a kid.

but honestly, if you want to become a writer, the best thing to do is stop posting in WD and just write a ton. You'll make mistakes, but you'll also learn.

"Her ravenblack hair stormed about her, reeking with the scent of death and lilacs" and all that.

I like the quote you made. Very intimidating way to describe a fierce female opponent!

Quote Originally Posted by BornForBurning View Post

Let's flip the script. What if it was a female heroine/antiheroine killing kids? What if Anakin was a woman instead that killed all the younglings? Would people think differently or the same.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganaPendragon25 View Post
    Let's flip the script. What if it was a female heroine/antiheroine killing kids? What if Anakin was a woman instead that killed all the younglings? Would people think differently or the same.
    It wouldn't make a difference. The director made a mistake by cutting out all the scenes of the Younglings on field trips, thirty of them constantly intoning, in dutiful sequence:

"Are we there yet?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12