Fascination with People - Page 6

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fascination with People

I believe that writers are often solitary creatures. We communicate through a third party - our books and stories - because that is the medium where we are most comfortable.

Maybe I'm wrong - I don't want to contribute to thread drift, so this is just a thought. Let's get back on topic.

Writers have to be interested in other people, their lives, their beliefs, what drives them to be as they are, because without that, how could we possibly construct believable characters in our work?

Quote Originally Posted by indianroads View Post
    I believe that writers are often solitary creatures. We communicate through a third party - our books and stories - because that is the medium where we are most comfortable.

Maybe I'm wrong - I don't want to contribute to thread drift, so this is just a thought. Let's get back on topic.

Writers have to be interested in other people, their lives, their beliefs, what drives them to be as they are, because without that, how could we possibly construct believable characters in our work?
    I agree and I think introverts tend to be more aware of other people. They sit back quietly watching the world go by. Not focused on themselves...but focused on others. I know I can go to a party and just sit in the corner observing. But how boring would that be if we were all introverts. Thank goodness for extroverts! Thank goodness for all the uniqueness of human beings!
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I agree and I think introverts tend to be more aware of other people. They sit back quietly watching the world go by. Not focused on themselves...but focused on others. I know I can go to a party and just sit in the corner observing. But how boring would that be if we were all introverts. Thank goodness for extroverts! Thank goodness for all the uniqueness of human beings!
    Agreed, and I think empathy is a crucial component as well. I find myself lingering on people and my own characters, to try to be in their shoes.

I don't see why you'd even want to write if you didn't have a fascination with people. In the same way, I don't understand why you'd want to write if you aren't already filled with stories to tell.
    Craft / Draft / Graft And Write To Entertain.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyAz View Post
    I don't see why you'd even want to write if you didn't have a fascination with people. In the same way, I don't understand why you'd want to write if you aren't already filled with stories to tell.
    It's not all just stories you know. Some people write sermons, laws, instruction manuals, guide books, seed catalogues, advertising slogans and more, and nary a story among them
    A new story

I finally got 'A Family Business' recorded and loaded, all 37 mins of it, much longer than any I have done before.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    It's not all just stories you know. Some people write sermons, laws, instruction manuals, guide books, seed catalogues, advertising slogans and more, and nary a story among them
    Pedant!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyAz View Post
    Pedant!
    Telephone directories, I forgot telephone directories, and best men's speeches.
    A new story

I finally got 'A Family Business' recorded and loaded, all 37 mins of it, much longer than any I have done before.
    Hidden Content

Telephone directories, I forgot telephone directories, and best men's speeches.
    Have you mentioned sermons? Oh, yeah, you've already mentioned those ...

And if you know nothing about punctuation you can still write road signs
    A new story

Hidden Content

And if you know nothing about punctuation you can still write road signs

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast