Fascination with People - Page 4

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fascination with People

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonTheWriter View Post
    Late to the thread, but I am exactly like this. I have been this way since a young child. I am very aware of my surroundings and whilst I have always been a quiet person, I am always aware of the people around me and I have always tried to figure people out without knowing much about them.

I have actually had to hold off before when speaking to people, because I know more about them than I let on. Which sounds creepy now I think of it. I just remember a lot of small things, and in School I remember picking up a lot of details about people just from overhearing conversations.

I have always been good at remembering small details about people. I have often times used those things for inspiration when I write.
    It's good to know there are some kindred spirits out there! I am also very quiet. When I was younger, I used to be quite self-conscious about it. My parents used to push me to speak to people, apologizing for me and saying that I was just shy! I never liked the word shy.

Google Definition: Shy - "being reserved or having or showing nervousness or timidity in the company of other people."

I never felt that way. Like you, I was just more interested in trying to figure people out. How can you do that if you’re the one doing all the talking? And then as an adult, I felt that the noisy people were getting ahead faster. For awhile... But then at some point, I started to use my ability to read people in a powerful way. Most people crave to be heard; recognized; understood. Once I started to be more comfortable with my quietness, and my ability to read people, life got a whole lot more interesting. I was able to achieve some very significant things in my career, while supporting others and understanding their needs.

In time, I learned that quiet and silent aren’t the same thing. That’s what I love about writing. One can be quiet, and still have a significant impact.

I'm not one, but I have heard that psychologists make great novelists. Of course they would, they have spent their careers trying to understand people’s motivation.

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/...gist_Novelists
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I'm not sure this post is in the right thread but I believe it has to do with character development.

Now and even before I started writing fiction, I have this habit that I cannot control. When I see people together, I try to figure out what the relationship is between them. I watch them surreptitiously to see if I can spot a gesture or look that indicates their connection. It doesn't have to be a couple, it can be any number of people and of all ages. Of course some are easier than others, so I find myself seeking out the less obvious groupings.

I don't know why I do it. But I have long since stopped trying to control it.

Does anyone else have any obsessions or habits that involve watching strangers?

Do you think it's because we are writers?
    Brother!
    Craft / Draft / Graft And Write To Entertain.

I believe it may be just a general fascination with people. I as a writer don't do this. I believe that it is because when I am in public, I generally try to be quick in public. Or that I am hanging out with friends or family and I am just too busy to worry about what other people around me. But I guess, in the very few times that I am in public alone I tend to listen to music. But sometime I do look around and see how people act in public. But I try not to look at people in specific, more about the scene, like I will go into a restaurant and try to write there, maybe just write a quick short story, make up some characters and get ideas.

This sounds like just random rambling. But these are my thoughts on the topic. Just try not to stare at people too long lmao, it tends to look weird. Not trying to insult you, but people just take things the wrong ways.

For me the fascination isn't just with people - it's places and experiences as well. I kept journals for years, and would write about the people I met, and interesting places I've visited and the experiences I've had.

I ride a motorcycle, and while riding I describe the scenery and the sensations of riding that I experience. That brings me into the moment, and I think helps me with my writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy-Eight View Post
    I believe it may be just a general fascination with people. I as a writer don't do this. I believe that it is because when I am in public, I generally try to be quick in public. Or that I am hanging out with friends or family and I am just too busy to worry about what other people around me. But I guess, in the very few times that I am in public alone I tend to listen to music. But sometime I do look around and see how people act in public. But I try not to look at people in specific, more about the scene, like I will go into a restaurant and try to write there, maybe just write a quick short story, make up some characters and get ideas.

This sounds like just random rambling. But these are my thoughts on the topic. Just try not to stare at people too long lmao, it tends to look weird. Not trying to insult you, but people just take things the wrong ways.
    Wise advice...not insulted at all! But like most obsessions, I have learned how to do this without detection.

I like the idea of writing in a restaurant or public place. I hope to try that once the lock-down is over. So many luxuries we took for granted eh?
    - unknown

Wise advice...not insulted at all! But like most obsessions, I have learned how to do this without detection.

I like the idea of writing in a restaurant or public place. I hope to try that once the lock-down is over. So many luxuries we took for granted eh?
    Agreed...the fact that I can't go out in public and write, or just go in public at all and really do anything is very disappointing. You are very right, we took it for granted and I think it is going to be a very long time before we get those luxuries back. :/

Agreed...the fact that I can't go out in public and write, or just go in public at all and really do anything is very disappointing. You are very right, we took it for granted and I think it is going to be a very long time before we get those luxuries back. :/
    Agree! I wonder if any of the authors who write dystopian stories ever imagined this setting.
    - unknown

Agree! I wonder if any of the authors who write dystopian stories ever imagined this setting.
    I tend to write dystopian, or often times very gritty stories. But I never would have imagined this type of setting.

I tend to write dystopian, or often times very gritty stories. But I never would have imagined this type of setting.
    Perhaps it can serve as inspiration!
    - unknown

Perhaps it can serve as inspiration!
    How so? I am still kicking around some ideas in my head. But I would definitely be open to hearing some of yours!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast