apostrophe question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: apostrophe question

apostrophe question

MC is an assassin and member of ... is it the Butcher's Guild, or the Butchers Guild?

Guild of (plural) butchers
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

Guild of (plural) butchers, not a guild owned by a butcher.
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

Historically, "Butchers Guild" is the most common.

Not targeting this at anyone here, but I've seen so many people misuse apostrophes in this fashion that it's become one of my biggest pet peeves and it takes near-inhumane restraint to avoid telling them they need to go back to elementary school and learn to spell.

I reckon Eternal Green is probably right in a case like this. Think butchers being used as an abbreviation for a shop belonging to a butcher and the apostrophe is long lost.

More generally speaking,

Butchers, plural of butcher
    Butcher's possessive, belonging to a butcher
    Butchers' possessive plural, belonging to a number of butchers
    37 videos so far up from 36, added 'moonlight holder' today, 19 Feb.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    I reckon Eternal Green is probably right in a case like this. Think butchers being used as an abbreviation for a shop belonging to a butcher and the apostrophe is long lost.

More generally speaking,

Butchers, plural of butcher
    Butcher's possessive, belonging to a butcher
    Butchers' possessive plural, belonging to a number of butchers
    That was the source of my consternation - the guild belongs to the butchers, and contains butchers.

The other thing that always strikes me about questions like this is here we are being careful to use punctuation correctly and ninety nine percent of readers don't even know how to use commas.

"Apostrophes, what are they? Oh, like single speech marks? What do they do then?"
    37 videos so far up from 36, added 'moonlight holder' today, 19 Feb.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by indianroads View Post
    MC is an assassin and member of ... is it the Butcher's Guild, or the Butchers Guild?
    The guild is owned by the Butchers, so that would be Butcher's Guild.

If there is more than one Butcher, i.e. they're a family, you would write Butchers' Guild. You can also write it Butchers's Guild, though most people these days omit the second s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast