Another cover design, requesting your judgement - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another cover design, requesting your judgement

Here's another minor tweak with some subtle blue fade in the top and bottom. I think it's a step in the right direction for doing something with those large swaths of black. It doesn't readily appear on subpar screens but should print just fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SmallEyeCoverBeta11.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	26187
    "We learn more by fixing mistakes than we ever would have if things had gone right in the first place."
    --Keith Bontrager

Another quick revision to capitalize my name, which for some reason I hadn't previously thought about. Also you have to click for the full size image to see the fade along the top and bottom.

Name:	SmallEyeCoverBeta12.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	26190
    "We learn more by fixing mistakes than we ever would have if things had gone right in the first place."
    --Keith Bontrager

That 'a thriller' is a hit or miss. The latest version with lowercase and tiny size looks like a blue stain in the middle of the rest.

Try adding more kerning on it. See how it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by JJBuchholz View Post
    A crosshairs behind a cityscape. I think it's pretty damn cool.

-JJB
    Agree! Only comment is could the center crosshairs be a bit more prominent? 3D embossed or metallic silver...or something else to make it jump off the page.
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

The problem with the crosshair is the letters are so small any effect kind of goes unnoticed. But I added it anyway, and maybe it's just one of those subconscious things that feels better instead of clearly looking better. I also made "a thriller" a tad bigger.

Name:	SmallEyeCoverBeta13.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	26191

EDIT: The way this site compressed image uploads, you can't even tell...
    --Keith Bontrager

The no-mans land between the cold city and suburbia.
    It's a solid design.

The gun seems a bit redundant -- and kind of detracts from the concept of the crosshairs if you think about it. The letterforms that make up the crosshairs -- no, they aren't legible, but that doesn't matter -- the idea comes across.

I'd go to Amazon etc. -- look at the size the cover will be displayed. You might want to bump up "a thriller" and the author name...

A total nitpick -- I'd close up the letter spacing on the title just a bit -- you're getting too close the edge -- needs a bit more breathing room.

I like it, however, I feel like there's too much negative space at the top (which is basically where there's just open space with nothing occupying it. Maybe you can put in the blues at the top to actually show the form of the top of the gun, and move the title so it can be centered on the gun. I'm a huge fan of the simple graphic design that focuses more on the center piece and doesn't focus on being too detailed. Fantastic job

Yes, better! I just noticed the gun for the first time. I love that. well done!!
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

I added a blue fade to the top and bottom to do something with the negative space. It feels much better to me, even though the computer I'm currently on doesn't really show it. Hopefully you can see it on your end because on a good screen (nice phone or flat panel) it looks real nice. Should print nicely too.

Name:	Small DP Eye Cover.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	26280
    --Keith Bontrager

What is the size of the pictures displayed on Amazon?
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check out my personal blog, Hidden Content

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast