Own Printing

Thread: Own Printing

Own Printing

How does one go about getting the machine that prints and binds. I googled it and I got tens of pages of Microsoft Publisher.

In short I may get an agent, probably not so I would like to go e-book with printing options for America and Europe. Unfortunately it won't suit South Africa so I want to be able to get copies for the South African Market.

25-100 books is $18.50 per copy printed here. Yeah right I want to make a $8 loss as I walk into the publishers. Heck I can buy any equivalent book and a beer and not have to write something myself..... I am not that interested in local markets but since I am in South Africa - well it is expected that I carry a few to sell and a couple for presents (evil lol). I am tired of scam artists lining up to take - take - take..... in South Africa but it is a good idea to have 30-100 books for local consumption - not particularly necessary to make much money but it will get people to buy ebooks.

Here in the UK there are several suppliers for letterpress printing, they may be able to help:

http://britishletterpress.co.uk/community/suppliers/

A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

My mate used to work on chess books. Someone at a tournament would send him the details of the games, he would type it all up and then send a CD to the printer which directly fed into the print machine. They would supply the books within twelve hours so that he could forward them and they would be sold on the last day of the tournament when the prizes were being given out. So it is possible to go direct to a commercial printer and get a reasonable price, in the UK at least. $18.50 sounds really high, I was selling my book for 5 and making enough profit that every third one was free and I sent it to a public library, that was POD from Lulu, but some time ago.
    \/ Can you get YouTube? \/

My stories, from just over two minutes to just over sixteen minutes long,
    Hidden Content

Come and listen, there are hours of them, of all sorts from humour to SF.

Please mention it to your friends, this is the only advertisement I can afford, and word of mouth is the best advert ever.

For those who facebook, I have created a user page that the stories get copied over to, look for, Oliver Buckle, The Story Shack, and please give me a "like"

You're probably looking at hundreds of thousands of dollars for such a machine. I don't have any solution for you. Have you looked at Ingram Spark for print books? Book stores use their catalog to order books. It might not be too bad on costs for you. And in India, I know people have to look to local printers, because Amazon won't ship print to that country.

I print with an inkjet on A5 paper and bind with a thermal binder, 25 off Ebay. I have to buy A4 binders and cut them down.
    Last edited by Bloggsworth; December 10th, 2020 at 12:32 AM.

Thank you all for the info. I am reluctant to go over border but it seems a lot more logical

Quote Originally Posted by Bloggsworth View Post
    I print with an inkjet on A5 paper and bind with a thermal binder, 25 off Ebay. I have to buy A4 binders and cut them down.
    Do you order your covers with your own pic on the front

Quote Originally Posted by Moose.H View Post
    Do you order your covers with your own pic on the front
    No, clear covers come as standard, I just make the first page the cover.