The beginning of a story stops me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The beginning of a story stops me.

Blog Entries

The beginning of a story stops me.

I have a problem, which has been affecting me for some time.
    It is my fault.
    I have the story, I wrote a lineup, I have the characters, the landscape, I have everything. I also have Scrivner.
    The problem?
    The beginning.
    The beginning of a story stops me. I don't know how to start.
    It is my fault.
    The beginnings stop me. I could write the whole book already.
    Without a beginning though.
    I don't know how to get out of this block.
    My dream? Being able to enter people's hearts with words: giving emotions and dreams.
    JK Rowling (Harry Potter) has been rejected more than 10 times Remember, don't give up!
    Thank you all for the help you give me to improve my English.

I would just scribble down a synopsis of the first chapter and come back to it later.

Honestly what it comes down to is, just write. I'm sure you already have a basic idea of how the story is going to go in your head (if nothing else, maybe even just a chapter's worth). What I do is pick a spot right before something interesting is about to happen and take off from there. Worst case scenario you can always make an edit later.

"Life is a risk; so is writing. You have to love it." ~ Richard Matheson

I was thinking about this earlier as well. So I did a search on youtube for something and watched a video asking if it was better to have a strong plot or a strong character starting. The guy in the video explained why he felt starting a story or book with a strong emphasis on the character was best. At least that's how he liked to start his stories. He mentioned, falling in love sooner than later with the character allowed them to attach the reader and then later describing the events or plot. I kinda felt the same way, maybe cause of my inexperience, but I was convinced. I had stopped to think, where do I begin my story? And I am going to start right at the beginning, of whatever is going on close enough to a big event, but focus on the character and their life, who they are, and slowly bring the plot in as the relationships develop.

Quote Originally Posted by natifix View Post
    I had stopped to think, where do I begin my story? And I am going to start right at the beginning, of whatever is going on close enough to a big event, but focus on the character and their life, who they are, and slowly bring the plot in as the relationships develop.
    That's basically how most writers go about it, I think. I tend to think about a story idea and characters for a while (sometimes just days, sometimes a year or more) and once I have at least a cursory idea of what I'd like to accomplish I'll pick a spot and get after it.

"Life is a risk; so is writing. You have to love it." ~ Richard Matheson

Writing out a plotline may help, I know for myself at least, I get stuck at the begining. So I don't write anything till I make a few paragraphs basically explaining the events the characters are to be involved with. Then each of those paragraphs can be greatly expanded upon. The content flow for me isn't the issue, it's always the order of which "what" events occur. Once I have the structure of the story, then writing in the details is more of a pansty thing and I just sit, write, and it all flows together. I wonder if this would help anyone who isn't doing this.

I developed this methodology when writing scientific papers. You can even use a spreadsheet! Easy to work with, and it can organize your ideas in a different way, you can make maps, and timelines, etc. Seeing differently can also spawn new ideas. Workflow!

To be fair I have problems with this and this could be giving some advice that might work for other people or not (it's important to receive the right advice). Right now since I ordered a book on sentences and paragraphs to be delivered at home (these issues I have had for a long time and this is because I think of schooling). One of the techniques in the paragraph book is journaling your reaction to a nonfiction piece. I agree that knowing the character is important to understand their plight or conflict in the story. The more you know about a subject you research could trigger some ideas as well.

I am sure some of my current conflicts and predicaments could be used for a story. Sometimes I get overambitious. I want to write original stories but deep down I know that is impossible (original as in to reinvent a plot trope in my unique case). I must know my inner self. Familiar plots on the other hand at least according to Kurt Vonnegut give the reader satisfaction. So whatever I plot at least for me I would use the advice of Kurt Vonnegut since I agree with it.

The other stories I tend to write are not using real life conflicts because I tried too hard to imagine the setting first or something else. The creative process of a successful writer varies from person to person. I tend to think I do want something that cannot be had or achieved. Characterization is the easiest way to create originality. The plot can be cliché and can be saved by characters. You could always base the character on your self. Everyone seems to know themselves well. I don't know other people too well.

The only way sadly is to write whatever whenever you feel like it. Currently, I wrote a small paragraph in word which I noticed I needed to redraft. Reading if you have a library nearby is the best solution. Sadly people don't always have that option available. I plan personally to subscribe to kindle unlimited. Since original ideas and characters are the main reason of me to start a story. I hope they have a sizable non-fiction section. Some classic works would not be a bad read either than were groundbreaking back then when such as in the golden age and so on.

Don't forget the library lets you research ideas for fiction. All reading can trigger inspiration. Every genre has something to offer if that helps you write the very beginning. Usually the story begins with a conflict.

I read some writers begin with other writer's sentences. But I think inspiration will naturally come from reading.

Also, if I abandon the current project I will return to it at a later date. (the two paragraphs I have started)
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; November 22nd, 2020 at 02:37 AM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Try a sentence which tells as many of who, where, what and when, as you can, for example,
    'Tuesday morning and Mary sat in her chair knitting and wondering when the post would arrive'
    It works for all sorts of books, reading about John Bunyan it starts
    'The two generations before Bunyan's birth had been a paradoxical period in which England as a whole was getting richer, but the poor were getting poorer.'

But maybe you mean further than the initial sentence. In that case I might try writing the rest of it first, there is nothing to say you have to start writing at the beginning and when you have already written the middle and end the start may seem easy-peasy.

Several people are supposed to have been asked how they start and replied "First place your bum on the chair". You can think about it and worry about it forever, don't worry, sit down and write, anything. A bit of dialogue, the ending, the beginning; it doesn't matter where you start, only that you start.
    Apologies I have duplicated the last two videos in error. Give me time I will find out how to delete the duplicates, in the meantime avoid the ones with a date instead of a title.

Changelings, my latest story is a science fiction story.

Stories from just over two minutes to just over sixteen minutes long, listen while you work, my friend listens whilst doing her work e-mails Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

If summit stops u then how can you finish anything
    The only one who can heal you is you.

The perfect beginning is . . . the one that gets you to the next chapter. I mean that seriously. Start writing at whatever seems the most interesting thing near the start of the story -- or just start writing somewhere -- or something Then keep going. I think you have that start in you.

When you are done with your book you can throw that start away and choose a better one. Really, you are MUCH better placed to choose your start when you are looking at a full rough draft.

And there is no prize for being the millionth person who tried to perfect their start and never wrote a second chapter.
    My website (Hidden Content ) has good essays on starting a book and using metaphoricals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast