The beginning of a story stops me. - Page 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The beginning of a story stops me.

Quote Originally Posted by LadySilence View Post
    The beginning of a story stops me. I don't know how to start.
    It is my fault.
    The beginnings stop me. I could write the whole book already.
    Without a beginning though.
    I don't know how to get out of this block.
    I can relate to this, as I am the type of writer that usually needs a title to start writing the story that I had planned out. I'll have the overall plot, characters, and setting all nailed down (as well as extra points and scene sequence), but the lack of a title will stop me cold in my tracks. I like the title to reflect the plot more often than not.

My advice to you is this: All it takes is the first word. Even when I have the abovementioned problem, I'll walk away from it for a period of time, but come back to the blank page and start with ONE word, then another, then another. And....I'll do it without my precious title.

Think less about the wall that is blocking you, and more about a door that can lead you though it.

-JJB
    ​"Strong convictions precede great actions....."

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Write fast and recklessly just to get your thoughts down on paper, then return to it later and edit.

Good luck
    \/ Can you get YouTube? \/

My stories, from just over two minutes to just over sixteen minutes long,
    Hidden Content

Come and listen, there are hours of them, of all sorts from humour to SF.

Please mention it to your friends, this is the only advertisement I can afford, and word of mouth is the best advert ever.

For those who facebook, I have created a user page that the stories get copied over to, look for, Oliver Buckle, The Story Shack, and please give me a "like"

This is a useful thread for everyone so that they can learn how to begin. Right now I am going to study carl jung's archetypes. I am particularly interested in the shadow archetype and animus. There are some reading lists out there. There's a list of over 300 archetypes in one blog I found. After I get tired of that I will explore the ennegram. It's worth a try. Many famous playwrights tried this approach according to a book I own (by stephen jeffreys). It's a good way to kindle the imagination to begin a story. I am on a limited budget but I will try to learn as much about the personality as possible. John truby likes to use archetypes. In his book he wrote, it depends on this approach for characterization. Knowing psychology can't hurt to understand people. I did an analysis today on The Anatomy of Story. So I am coming back with fresh thoughts on this. The king, the child, the trickster, and so on. If you study archetypes you can imagine people. Such as the roles people play out during the day. It's one approach and I know not everyone will go down this path in their writing journey.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

https://scottjeffrey.com/guides/

Here's a link to an internet web page I mentioned earlier but did not post. That has a link to over 300 character archetypes. The webpage I just posted here was created by a psychologist. I am starting to think it's just better to write at anyone time. Today I wrote an essay which has a lot of conflict. What causes people to be poor? I was able to plot from it giving my answers to the essay. It was free writing. I am sure archetypes have their place in literature. But I am starting to think in terms of brainstorming and planning or prewriting by answering questions might be an easier approach since you can also trigger the imagination this way.

Today I wrote a lot by freewriting about topics I felt strongly about (or diatribe against poverty). I also reread a story, and found a technology I could use in a science fiction story which I read today. I own many anthologies with short stories.

I think creating the goal is important. I used a tool which I bought. There are a list of questions I answered concerning the goal. Creating a goal for a character from your imagination about what they most value or based on their history (in my case I based it on some fictional characters, real people, and backstory from previous stories). Then I rewrote the backstory. If you have the goal then you can create conflict and obstacles.

Kristen Kieffer has some books on sale that help you plan the story before writing it which I have worked from using her writing tools.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

The no-mans land between the cold city and suburbia.
    Yikes. Such drama. Stop self-flagellating — finish the story and circle back. Post something and see what people think.

On the road. Always traveling. Catch me if you can.
    From my own experience, I've changed from a pantser to an outliner. What I've learned by outlining is that I don't have to start at the beginning. Each part of the outline is basically a chapter. So, since I have my ideas of what's going to happen in that chapter, I can start writing. Now, when actually writing, I know the first run through is going to be a draft. That's super important to me because it gives me all the reasons to get words on the page and not worry much about it. Prior to this, I would be so concerned about making things right the first time, that I got nowhere.

~T.H.
    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Head View Post
    From my own experience, I've changed from a pantser to an outliner. What I've learned by outlining is that I don't have to start at the beginning. Each part of the outline is basically a chapter. So, since I have my ideas of what's going to happen in that chapter, I can start writing. Now, when actually writing, I know the first run through is going to be a draft. That's super important to me because it gives me all the reasons to get words on the page and not worry much about it. Prior to this, I would be so concerned about making things right the first time, that I got nowhere.

~T.H.
    That is what I did today. I agree with this post. What I did was outline or plan as well. For today that is and I plan to continue this to get out of a rut.

Blog Entries
    Please note, that most people change their beginning of their story once they've completed their manuscript. Out of the three books I've already written, three of those books had their beginnings altered no less than 5 times. It's extremely common to do this.

So know, if you can't move past the first sentence, the problem could be deeper than the first sentence.

Don't allow the perfect to stop the good.
    Last edited by Tettsuo; November 24th, 2020 at 05:44 PM.
    Where you can purchase a copy of Fallen Sun, my second novel. Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    You are all right.
    You have all been of great help to me.
    I write without looking, I focus only on the history, without making me paranoid.
    To correct and rewrite I will think later.
    Many thanks to all.
    My dream? Being able to enter people's hearts with words: giving emotions and dreams.
    JK Rowling (Harry Potter) has been rejected more than 10 times Remember, don't give up!
    Thank you all for the help you give me to improve my English.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast