What is experimental phrasing?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is experimental phrasing?

What is experimental phrasing?

I've posted up a couple of paragraphs from my book here and there, and one of the replies said that I need to use more "experimental phrasing". So I wanted to stop by over here and ask what you guys think it means. I've never heard of this before, but I suspect I know it under a different name. But I'm not sure what that name is. Any explanation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sounds like corporate-speak is invading the world of authorship, up with that I will not put. Perhaps you are meant to write boldly where no man has writ before...
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

The no-mans land between the cold city and suburbia.
    Hard to say without an example of your writing or any context...
    Last edited by TheManx; November 20th, 2020 at 08:09 PM.

Maybe it's implying that you should use less obvious vocabulary? Spice up word choice and separate from your typical design and syntax? That's only a thought, as without the piece referenced, it's hard to judge the meaning.

Sounds like the ramblings of a lunatic to me. Tell him to stop fingering his thesaurus and speak English.

"experimental phrasing"
    Bereft of all context, this sounds like atrocious advice.
    perhaps you might post a sample of your work?
    Nail it to the Cross

Anyone who is advising "experimental phrasing" without taking taking your sample and providing an example is "all hat and no cow".

You might be shocked to find out that my first introduction to the phrase "all hat and no cow" was in a Hallmark Christmas movie, where I have no doubt the screenwriter lifted it from someone who lifted it from someone who lifted it from someone who originally engaged in experimental phrasing. Every cliche has a point of origin.

I think the term "experimental phrasing" is horrible. What you're looking for is originality, which is uniquely you, and has nothing to do with "experimental". If you're a good writer, you're more than likely a good conversationalist. You say things around your friends they think are cool. That's the same originality you want to express in your writing.

phrasing
    An exclamation and/or warning given to another over the unintended sexual innuendo of an otherwise innocent phrase.

Commonly heard by various characters on the animated FX television series, "Archer".
    "You wanna play me hard?" "Phrasing." "Well, then you better nut up!" "Phrasing!" "I've swallowed just about as much as I can take from you!" "PHRASING!!"
    by Fortyseven April 12, 2013

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=phrasing

This is a good example. They say it better than I can.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast