Should You Really Ask Friends and Relatives to Join Your Email List?

Thread: Should You Really Ask Friends and Relatives to Join Your Email List?

Should You Really Ask Friends and Relatives to Join Your Email List?

A lot of experts say to ask those you know personally, such as friends and family, to join your email list, as well as those you don't know. Yes, it opens up more connections as they can refer those they know that the author probably doesn't know to join the mailing list. But what if they're not really in your target audience? They already cannot review your book on Amazon since it would count as a biased one, and Amazon doesn't allow reviews from people the sellers know personally.
    I also don't know a lot of friends and family who would be willing to join my email list. I know a lot of people, and I do have a lot of friends, but I don't usually talk about my writing projects with many of them.
    However, that paperback promotion I tried where I reduced the price, added a digital signature, promised that 75% of royalties would be donated to charity, and offered free help guides as long as the people purchased a hardcopy and joined the email list between October 12th and November 30th, is failing, despite what I did to promote it to my audience. Maybe I should wait until after the pandemic to try again, even if I choose to stick with online sales only and not try to plan an in-person book signing when it's safe. But should I really ask friends and family to join my mailing list? They're not going to be able to keep their reviews on Amazon, plus, I usually don't discuss my book content with them. If I talk about my writing, it's usually my blog I tell them about.
    Children's Fantasy Author
    Hidden Content

Purchase my book at Hidden Content

I'm a little hesitant myself when it comes to mixing friends- family and business. That's the main reason I don't do facebook-- mixing friends, family, and business makes me a little bit nervous. I would likely keep separate email lists. That way you can send to your customers or potential customers with one list and notify friends and relatives of your publications with the other list. And with the friends and relative separate list you could directly ask for their help, ask them to spread the word for you--and give them a link to use for their referrals. I imagine they could easily include that info for you in their facebook posts.

I hope to hear more opinions on this important matter. Best of luck with your promotions. It has to feel almost impossible during this horrible pandemic.
    Free Download of My Chapbook: Flash Fiction: A Primer
    Hidden Content

Free FlashFictionFlash newsletter. To subscribe, send a blank email message to Hidden Content (be sure to include the plus sign before "subscribe" in the address). Or go to Hidden Content and follow instructions there.

I figured. I will probably stick with fans I don't know personally for my mailing list.

Ideally you only want people who read your work on your list. What's the point of having a lot of people who won't open your emails, won't buy your book, won't support you? After a certain number of signups, on many newsletter sites you'll be paying for them, and not getting anything in return.

I would ask cause some people have emails for spam, business, personal, or professional relationships. And they like to keep things organized. xD

I don't. The only people I want on my list are potential customers. If I have friends or family members who actually want to read my books, great. They can join. I'm not going to pad my numbers with disinterested parties though.