Crimes Against Rhyme

Thread: Crimes Against Rhyme

Crimes Against Rhyme

Too often (emerging/hobbyist) writers (can/do) make an assumption that just because something is poetry, it should contain rhyme. (Given that rhyme is often a prominent feature in the poetry we are first exposed to.) This is not the truth of the matter. More often than not, rhyme has a detrimental effect of lending a sing song aura that is out of sync with its (a poem's) content. Rhyme when done well is a powerful tool, but when used haphazardly it can become a beast. So pause, consider, does the subject require a rhyme? Can that rhyme be kept consistent? And most importantly, what would a rhyme add in terms of content (e.g. structure, refrains, classic forms etc.)?

Like that regretted online purchase, take a minute and think before installing a rhyme in a poem. Use them carefully and they can serve you well.
    Last edited by Darkkin; November 22nd, 2020 at 07:24 PM.

Perhaps the best historical 'living' proof of Darkkin's point would be the poetry of Alexander Pope, virtually ALL of whose poetry was written is closed or "Heroic" couplets. This form produces a timeless, aphoristic effect where each couplet--usually in very long poems--seamlessly performs its role as part of a continuing story or unfolding thought or argument, while simultaneously capsuling an abstract axiom of some kind. Quite an achievement. . . but impossible to achieve without an apt end-rhyme to reinforce and drive home the rightness of the idea, viz:

True wit is Nature to advantage dress't
    What oft was thought, but ne'er so well expresst.
    (Essay on Criticism)

Know then thyself, presume not God to scan--
    The proper study of Mankind is Man.
    (Essay on Man)

ETC

"I believe in nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of the imagination". Keats, ​Letters

"No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main . . . any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind. And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls -- it tolls for thee. " John Donne, Meditation XVII

Darkkin

The writers you speak about must have a limited view to what poetry is to have that assumption. First off it suggests that historically they are poor readers; there are thousands of kinds of poetry out there and few that rhyme. But all do have a musical tone through rhythm in the choice of language used in the poem. They aren't much of a writer if they are limiting the styles of presentation to rhyming only. Even a Howler Monkey has more sense that to choose one tree to form a way of life. And art is a way of life.

a poet friend
    RH Peat

Quote Originally Posted by RHPeat View Post
    Darkkin

The writers you speak about must have a limited view to what poetry is to have that assumption. First off it suggests that historically they are poor readers; there are thousands of kinds of poetry out there and few that rhyme. But all do have a musical tone through rhythm in the choice of language used in the poem. They aren't much of a writer if they are limiting the styles of presentation to rhyming only. Even a Howler Monkey has more sense that to choose one tree to form a way of life. And art is a way of life.

a poet friend
    RH Peat
    Wield belittling opinion like an ill timed rhyme and it functions as a deterrent for a once pleasurable activity. (To wit: Unsupported Criticism vs. Constructive Critique) It can establish a mind set of: Why say anything when I'm just going to be steamrolled with a load of hot aired waffle? (Basically everything in the OP was ignored because a reader missed identifiying the target audience, thus the pointless homily.) Conversation becomes one sided and nonexistent. Any interest involved parties may have had dies...This is a proven pattern throughout human history. To those on the belittled end, it makes more sense to forego the activity than deal repeatedly with one, one fails appreciate for numerous reason. Avoidence rather than over exposure to intolerence...

You missed the boat on this one. (Still wondering why am I getting a lecture on censorship?)...No where in the OP did I try to limit or censor anyones' art. (As this is also the nuts and bolts forum, it is inherent that writers are looking for basics. Retermed (emerging/hobbyist) writers, just so there is NO CONFUSION AS TO THE TARGET AUDIENCE). I merely stated that pausing to think before including a rhyme can and does help when writing, which it does...) Poems with ICP Teeter-totter rhymes are not isolated incidents.

Please read (more) carefully before jumping to erroneous conclusions. (Take a look at the opening word, too often, noting an observed pattern of behavior among a group, implied inherencies of (emerging/hobbyist) writers, given its placement in this particular forum, yet indictating a common theme. And lets face it, a majority of writers will experiment with poetry at some point in their endeavors. Just because we do not have hard copy does not mean the proof does not exist, (cryptoversification)). (The next great cable TV series. Cryptoversification: Hunt for the Lost Rhymes.)

No one called anyone a poor writer (again, hastily drawn conclusion from your wording, not mine), but many people experimenting with poetry start off with rhyme because it is what we are familiar with. They (publishers) use it in childrens books, they (teachers) use it in the classroom. Rhyme is a habit, like an earworm song it sticks in the head and becomes a touch point. (A place to start).

Like the capuchin monkey using a hammer stone, when wielded properly it becomes a powerful tool. When used incorrectly it can smash the thumb. So thank you for implying that as a rhymer, myself, I am a poor writer because I happen to favour a specific tool, (and for actively critiquing among my peer group). You were the one who picked up the stick, drew a line in the sand and started stabbing blindly, defining a significant portion of (emerging/hobbyist) writers (my own peer group) as poor. (Main audience is hobbyist writers, as they make up a vast majority of the readership.) Pause and read carefully before sneering at what a tool (or group) can do when properly used and no line is drawn. Which is more limiting, using a tool well or discounting it because it has defined parameters?

Imagination, human creativity are limitless, NO ONE CHALLENGED THIS POINT...Tact, on the other hand, is something that is learned. (Please take philosophy to the next forum down in Poetry Discussions.)

My observations where drawn from trends I have noticed as a reader when I actively engage in critique. (Online, writing groups, etc...) It is by far, one on the most common issues I come across, (ungrounded adjectives being another...) ASD brain, with a particular specialty for pattern recognition by the way. (Are my cumulative observations incorrect? Am I reading all wrong? I can compile statistics and source cites with OPs and the associated critiques, but it will take some time.)

Getting back on track. How to fix said observation (parameters being defined as emerging, hobbyist writers dabbling in poetry)? Offer a small users guide. (The instructions in the box that have the warnings about the product.) Embrace the tool, but read the warning label. Rhyme is like a good castiron skillet, it can be used for making thousands of things, but its base function remains the same. Treat it well and it will continue to serve. And please also note, that no where in the OP was there any phrasing that attempted to limit a writer solely to rhyme, that is blatant idiocy. READ VERY CAREFULLY.

Also consider while howler monkeys are the loudest species on the planet, it does not make them the most intelligent...Noise is easily tuned out, which is why we have a handy block feature and I avoid certain areas of the forum. Thinking it might be wiser to vacate entirely if the quality of my work is that shoddy. (I should probably also start the process of returning my education, class by class, due to the appalling poor skill set expressed in/by its usage) because I utilise a writing tool. USING ONE TOOL PROPERLY DOES NOT NEGATE THE FACT THAT THERE ARE MORE TOOLS IN ONE'S SKILL SET. LEARNING TO USE A TOOL PROPERLY ENHANCES SAID SKILL SET. THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT. THE ONLY POINT. Hope this helps.

Line in the Sand

A tale written in sand,
    a single line,
    footprints proceed
    to a place
    whereupon
    Marr, stick in hand
    took a foolish stand.

(Please note, good Marr, had the sense not to draw a line in the sand. He was his own limit.)

The Truth of Silence

Small paws skittered across damage of the flood, carnage wrought
    by brutal torrents of Nothing—too many small things gone astray.
    And yet it was a small thing, who had the courage, stood…fought.

On wary toes the Lessthan approached the source of the onslaught,
    the once awesome Pompous, spineless and deflated—fate betrayed.
    Small paws skittered, tallied up the cost of words, carnage wrought.

With nothing more than a shield of golden silence, Lessthan taught:
    Words without thought, wreak havoc—Ignorance, sculpture of clay.
    And yet it was a small thing, who had the courage, stood…fought.

The Lessthan, a lowly curse, knew what it is determination brought
    and so like the Baobab Tree the Lessthan had depths, roots arrayed.

It was in the things that lay beneath, the things felt, seen—thought
    wherein the true strength of character was found. A truth parlayed.
    And yet it was a small thing, who has the courage, stood…fought.

Such was the lesson of the Lessthan, a crucial message now taught.
    Sincere silence stands as firm as stone, where words of sand betray.
    And yet it was a small thing, who with only silence stood…fought.

Sometimes stories help.

All the best.

- D.
    Last edited by Darkkin; November 22nd, 2020 at 10:52 PM.