Indenting Dialogue

Thread: Indenting Dialogue

Indenting Dialogue

Some people say that you should indent dialogue. Some say you shouldn't.

I would suppose that if you indent a new paragraph then starting a new line for a new speaker merits it. Personally I don't do either. I think what matters most is consistency, unless you are writing for someone who issues a 'Style guide', then I guess you need to stick to it.
    37 videos so far up from 36, added 'moonlight holder' today, 19 Feb.
    Hidden Content

In a printed book, you always indent dialogue as you would any new paragraph as dialogue begins on a new line when the speaker is changed. The only exception is if the dialogue is at the start of the text (or chapter).

On a web edition, indenting is often completely dispensed with due to text formatting so a line break would suffice as in https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/li...karczuk/prose/