pansexual flirting in a g rated novel???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pansexual flirting in a g rated novel???

pansexual flirting in a g rated novel???

I have no clue how to flirt. I wouldn't know if someone was with me. my panscan is blinded by lack of experience, I wouldn't even know what it consisted of butttt.. I have a character that at the drop of a hat will flirt with any7 hottie of any sex or gender{a.k.a is pansexual} but she is in a book thanks going to berated e fir everyone video game wise..{yes it's a novel} she is going to be a bit like spock meets washu from tenchi muyo and beyonetta all thrown into a blnder... lol ... any advice.
    striding and swagering rootlessness with out end the precious flow of life.

Were you high when writing this?

You can ask your male and female friends how they flirt, then tune it for your character.

nope. I wasn't high when I wrote this but I was a bit hypomanic... still kind of am.. oh well though..

Pansexuality has nothing to do with 'flirting at the drop of a hat with any hottie'. Most women don't 'flirt at the drop of a hat with any hottie' of their preferred gender, because human behavior is complex and social pressures affect pretty much everybody. My advice would be to avoid hypersexualizing characters, especially if there's no reason beyond 'they're pansexual'. Ask yourself how a reader is supposed to relate to this character.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    Pansexuality has nothing to do with 'flirting at the drop of a hat with any hottie'. Most women don't 'flirt at the drop of a hat with any hottie' of their preferred gender, because human behavior is complex and social pressures affect pretty much everybody. My advice would be to avoid hypersexualizing characters, especially if there's no reason beyond 'they're pansexual'. Ask yourself how a reader is supposed to relate to this character.
    But there are woman and men who constantly flirt because they need the validation. When you get into what's behind the behavior, I think it could be fairly complex. But yeah -- maybe not so much about relating, as recognizing how the behavior affects the other characters etc., or maybe it's about empathy -- having some understating of why people act the way they do.

To be honest, I get the vibe that this "pansexual" character (which I frankly find is just a newfangled way of saying "willing to fuck anyone with a pulse") is nothing but an attempt to write "inclusively", whatever that means these days. As other posters already pointed out, this attempt also looks very ham-handed and unnatural as it currently stands.

Where it concerns writing characters with unusual sexual preferences, I would suggest first figuring out if the story even merits from elaborating on them beyond maybe a passing mention. Unless this is a "coming out" story or concerns the character's relationships, I really see no merit in elaborating on the character's sexuality beyond pleasing the certain "pro-inclusivity" crowd.

If you find your story would merit from elaborating on the character's sexual preferences, I would further suggest to reveal them by implication rather than flat-out description. This way, it would look less ham-handed and forced, making the character look more natural - a human being rather than what looks suspiciously like a propaganda mouthpiece.

Now, where it concerns flirting, I would think a "pansexual" person flirts no differently from any other human. Casual conversation about subjects of interest, jokes, showing interest in the other person, flattery and compliments - everything that people usually do to express attraction towards another.

I have plot points between this character and a sucubuss{not evil yet} that hates being a sucubuss. the secondary plot revolves around one of the villans being the creature of the race and the fact that she really wants to kill him for even dreaming up such a race. th two are to play off each other like hot and cold...

p.s. I am pansexual and no I don't want to bang every human. that would be silly.

From the OP -- sounds like your problem is you don't know how to flirt (or think you don't) and you have a character that does it to excess. If you want to be a writer of some kind, you're going to have to write outside your experience sometimes. Use your imagination. Is it something you've seen other people do? Surely you can recognize flirting when you see it. Just try to write it and see what happens. Fake it 'till you make it, as they say...

I guess I want to write this side story about giving the right amount of a dam.. lol..

I think a lot of these questions are more about procrastination than anything else.

I have no idea what you're trying to do and neither does anyone else -- and you're going to have people inserting their own attitudes and beliefs into the answers without knowing anything about the context.

Just write it and then ask some people what they think...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast