strange force that needs a name{other than writers block.}

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strange force that needs a name{other than writers block.}

strange force that needs a name{other than writers block.}

I got a question. I swear I was writing and I couldn't write anymore buttttt... i switched stories and all the sudden I am writing again... what would you call that strangeness? It's not writers block. I did it twice now. I will get to a point were I cannot physically set in front of the computer to write till I switch stories.. I can do it over and over but if I went back to a story I was just writing..... nothing..!!!! can't even get myself to focus. sometimes can't even get myself to even set there till I move on. It's not writers block. what is it though???
    striding and swagering rootlessness with out end the precious flow of life.

Maybe creative stagnation? Like you're pushing through a muddy swamp and just get to the point where you can't push through anymore. Switching up stories is a good way to get around this, as I've had to do it a few times. Sometimes it just is better to take a step back and reexamine your work. Might help give you a fresh head to jump back into it.
    -The Three Teared Eye-

Eleven Self-Published Works

Hidden Content

I’ve heard building birdhouses is a nice hobby.

Some authors calls this "the shiny new idea". It's alluring to start a new story, instead of working on the old one, because the new one is sparkling and different and untouched. You haven't yet had a chance to screw it up.

But once you start working on that shiny new thing? Guess what? It, too, will soon lose its luster. Then you may feel tempted to go looking for another shiny new idea. (And so on, and so forth, into infinity. )

If you want to break the cycle, you have to figure out what, specifically, is making you want to bail on your current story. It could be boredom. It could be uncertainty. It could be fatigue. Once you figure out the cause, then you can figure out a solution.

Blog Entries
    That, my friend, is the muddy (or saggy) middle.

You'll either have to push through, or figure out a way to write around it.

I push, that's just who I am. Some people choose to write some scenes out of order. Others may try to figure out an outline of sorts to give them direction. But ultimately, it'll be up to you to figure out how you're going to deal with the part of the story that you became bored with.

This is why writing an entire novel is tough.
    Where you can purchase a copy of Fallen Sun, my second novel. Hidden Content

Personally, I value spontaneity, to the extent that I am motivated by novelty and find follow-through harder work. That could be because I write for recreation; though I have to say it is the creation rather than any repeat of it that inspires me. I am more of a starter than finisher and I tend to prioritise other people, so once I'm interrupted I may find it impossible to recollect where I was.

It may be that you value inspiration above aspiration. That could lead to rust-out when people ask 'how is the writing going?' They may intend to motivate you, but some part of you sees them as nagging.

It is good that you gain energy from new works and it sounds as though you have saved enough manuscripts to have a choice of what to proceed with.
    Kind regards,
    Hidden Content Katrina
    Hidden Content
    Choreographing Calligraphy

ty.. guys...
    striding and swagering rootlessness with out end the precious flow of life.

The "idea" of the story is almost always going to sound better than an actual early draft.

If you're struggling a lot to focus on one project at a time and you still want results, you could always try flash and micro fiction (if you don't already).

I started off with the same problem. When I got to wanting to start my fourth story I finally forced myself to complete my third story, even though I wasn't crazy about it and wasn't completely happy with the ending. The point is to finish which begins training your brain to not jump to start every new idea.
    K.S. Crooks- Dreamer and Author

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast