This Is Me

Thread: This Is Me

This Is Me

I am 65 y/o. I enjoy writing, and have a unique story to tell. I write Poetry, Short Stories, and I have started some story lines for a Novel.

I have 2 children, grown, so now I can start focusing on things that interest me. At times I can be very impatient with my family.

I was expelled from High School for writing this:

I Pledge Allegiance to the Flag
    For Which I have no Choice
    And to the Republic
    For Which it Stands
    In Where I have no Voice
    This Nation is not Under God
    And Liberty does not mean Free
    And the only Justice that there is
    Is Justice for a Fee
    Last edited by Carmen; October 11th, 2020 at 10:19 PM.

Hi Carmen, welcome to WF.

i also write poetry (or at least try) You are welcome to share some of your poems to our Poets' Showcase forum
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check out my personal blog, Hidden Content

Welcome, Carmen! What's the novel about?

HJC

Hi Harper, I'm glad I found you or you found me. I was looking for a Mentor and I clicked on your Icon.

My Book is about a young 12 y/o boy, an immigrant from Ireland. He gets to NY and takes work on a Fishing expedition that goes far into the northern and icy waters. the boat becomes trapped in the ice, and the few crew members that managed to keep their lives had to cut open seals and crawl inside the skins for warmth and food.

He travels in covered wagons to come out west to the Barbary Coast as San Francisco was referred to then.

Hi Carmen, I am 76 y/o , good to see some younger members joining. So you got kicked out of High School for it and it is still the first thing you come out with all this time later, I like the spirit.

Hope you enjoy the experience here, Olly.
    Still fairly NEW, and growing all the time
    I have started a youtube channel with both my stories and traditional stories

Hidden Content
    See me, hear me, subscribe Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Well, it was my first. I didn't really do any writing until recently.
    However, this forum is frustrating me. when i try to edit my profile it says i don't have access.
    what up wi dat bro?

It is probably the forum catching up, normally you are not a full member until you have 10 posts, but having become a FoWF should bypass that, but the old green lady can be a bit slow catching on sometimes. Is it showing you the workshops yet, and can you make a signature? If it goes on for more than a day contact a staff member, not me, I'm afraid I retired.

Hidden Content

retired from what? this forum or something else.
    i have to say that i get impatient with things that get in the way of my writing.
    i don't like language rules. capital i's capital letters. when i write i just want to write not to worry about dotting my i's and crossing my t's.

Retired from the staff, I used to be a moderator, then when we set up Mentors as a separate group I was Chief mentor for a bit, but I am not really organised enough for that sort of thing. I have ideas but the nitty gritty of following them through needs organised people like PiP and Harper.

I can understand the impatience, but if writing is intended to communicate to other people things like i for I get in the way, they are a hiccough in the reading which distracts the attention. That is where editing comes in. Write it for yourself, get the idea down, then make it presentable and easily readable. The only control you have over your reader is in the words on the page, and if they are only right for you and not for them they will simply stop reading, which takes the point out of writing for most people.

Quite a few people find editing tedious at first, read a few good crits. to get the hang of it. Get into finding the snags and sorting them and it actually becomes interesting and fun in its own way. I practice on my posts, it is like anything from football to sewing, the more you do it the more you learn and the easier it gets.

Hidden Content

Your book has an interesting premise, I think that could work. Are you still having trouble with editing your profile? We have people who could look at that for you.

HJC