Brandon Leake, spoken word poet wins season 15 of America's Got Talent 2020

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Leake, spoken word poet wins season 15 of America's Got Talent 2020

Brandon Leake, spoken word poet wins season 15 of America's Got Talent 2020

Congratulations!

Wow! The first spoken word poet on AGT and he wins! What a great boost for poetry. Make yourself a coffee, pour yourself a beer or whatever and take 15 minutes to listen to his poetry. I was blown away.

Spoken word adds a whole new dimension to poetry. We write poetry, we read it aloud with passion but will a 3rd person reading the written word really project with the same passion?

I am hooked!

Brandon Leake is an inspiration.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check out my personal blog, Hidden Content

That's inspirational in the sense poetry makes a televised appearance. I hope more poetry gets exposure on tv. That would be a smart move. Also, competition with poetry could be a good way to make people turn on their tvs. Poetry is brief and tv makes it a good way to expose people to poems. So hopefully poetry appears in tv more so than just spoken poetry.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; September 27th, 2020 at 11:19 PM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Hearing poetry spoken certainly adds to it, which is why I sometimes read work aloud that I see on here. Tim seems to have taken it to another level as well. Recently on Facebook, I came across a former schoolteacher who first awakened me to poetry when I was maybe 10 years old. He posts videos on Facebook of himself reading poems - though not his own. Astonishingly, he actually remembers me from 53 years ago, but it's fair to say that I stood out for various reasons - some positive and some less so.

Having poetry on a general talent contest is something else though. I won't view it tonight as I'm pretty tired, but I will take a look soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Theglasshouse View Post
    Poetry is brief and tv makes it a good way to expose people to poems. So hopefully poetry appears in tv more so than just spoken poetry.
    TV, radio, podcasts or whatever the spoken word brings poetry alive. It adds a new dimension and encourages more people to explore poetry.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Holy Sh*t now that some great poetry- This guys is passionate and reads his work like a veteran actor. Spoken Word will be on the rise--Pip now I'm excited...
    Nature weeps, the devil sings
    at mans greed and pride
    and what it brings

Just lots of useless
    little things

Tim seems to have taken it to another level as well.
    Yes, I listening to the way Tim performs his poetry. One of my favourites he allowed us to include the WF member poetry podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Istine View Post
    Hearing poetry spoken certainly adds to it, which is why I sometimes read work aloud that I see on here.
    Yes, I always read poetry aloud, but I wonder if the way I read it is as the poet intended

Recently on Facebook, I came across a former schoolteacher who first awakened me to poetry when I was maybe 10 years old. He posts videos on Facebook of himself reading poems - though not his own. Astonishingly, he actually remembers me from 53 years ago, but it's fair to say that I stood out for various reasons - some positive and some less so.
    I am sure he must have recognised you had talent even back them

Having poetry on a general talent contest is something else though. I won't view it tonight as I'm pretty tired, but I will take a look soon.
    Hopefully you will have time in the next few days ... Trust me, it's worth it.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by rcallaci View Post
    Holy Sh*t now that some great poetry- This guys is passionate and reads his work like a veteran actor. Spoken Word will be on the rise--Pip now I'm excited...
    haha... I'd love to hear you reading your beastie poems!
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by rcallaci View Post
    It really is an exciting breakthrough for poetry. The passion and his ability to bring his poetry to life...you have to admire that.
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka

What an amazing performance! I was moved to tears during his poem about his mom and the one about his little sister. He blew me away.

Wow! The one about his sister was heart-wrenching but so good. This poet really gives words their power and their due.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast