Brandon Leake, spoken word poet wins season 15 of America's Got Talent 2020 - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Leake, spoken word poet wins season 15 of America's Got Talent 2020

As someone who's really bad at appreciating written poetry, I've adored spoken poetry since I originally came across it about five or six years ago. This guy just blew me away. Gave me goosebumps, chills, the whole nine. It makes me want to actually watch America's Got Talent--and maybe I even will if they get more people like him on there. Really really awesome poetry. Thanks so much for sharing this PiP.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamat View Post
    As someone who's really bad at appreciating written poetry, I've adored spoken poetry since I originally came across it about five or six years ago. This guy just blew me away. Gave me goosebumps, chills, the whole nine. It makes me want to actually watch America's Got Talent--and maybe I even will if they get more people like him on there. Really really awesome poetry. Thanks so much for sharing this PiP.
    It was -xXx- who brought it to my attention and like you I was blown away. I wonder if spoken word poetry is written more in prose format. I'd love to see a hard copy of the poems Brandon read.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check out my personal blog, Hidden Content

I think the drama inherent in actually performing it helps a lot too.

It’s really performance art. The poetry is there to support the performance.

Quote Originally Posted by PiP View Post
    Spoken word adds a whole new dimension to poetry.
    We write poetry, we read it aloud with passion
    but will a 3rd person reading the written word really project with the same passion?
    <snip fuse snip>
    I wonder if spoken word poetry is written more in prose format.
    i like to use eric clapton layla for these kinds of wonderings.
    i don't read or interpret my own writing the same over time.
    i see that as a positive.
    i don't think i know of any real absolute statics.

spoken word runs the full gambit as other art forms do.
    many people experience change from thought
    to word
    to word spoken
    to word spoken before open ears
    as transformative progression.
    yes.
    conventional poetic forms are regularly shared.
    no.
    there is no special emphasis on poetic prose
    or performance in many groups/communities.
    it can spontaneously occur during poet immersion experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Istine View Post
    Having poetry on a general talent contest is something else though.
    imho (still unqualified to have any opinion on anything)
    brandon is to (media) communications
    what
    metallica is
    to their presentation/interpretation
    within the music spheres.
    remember how long they were not acknowledged
    despite
    the empirical measure of sustained sales
    which was touted as the industry standard measure.
    hypocrisy could no longer hide.

don't underestimate the connotations.
    media.
    refer to the visual, audio aspects of his word presentation.
    communications.
    truth.
    personal face, global connection point, tight focus, transmit evocative/transformative emotion.
    non-threatening and rehumanizing.
    this/his moment validates.
    words are vital.
    ...words will never hurt me....
    death of a common complex embedded social management tool cascade.
    as communications/arts reorganize
    HE
    is a template
    for
    everyhere evernow.

jussayin'

now double check judge reaction.
    howie uses language professionally.
    his critical contribution to this moment
    -his moment of recognition-
    -the maturing of that cascade-
    validation of not just value, but value vital to this now

howie IS successful connection with reader/listener/other-than-poet

see the wonder of it?

yes.
    i can try to convert much of the above
    into conventional written communication structures.
    if i must.
    k.
    Last edited by -xXx-; October 20th, 2020 at 04:27 PM.
    " I like it, but I donít get it." - Megan WF April LM Challenge

"Hereby copyright for all things Xonian and Xxildurim is transferred to one named -xXx-" - Mish The Question Game 2458

"...intrusively poetic, robotic way of articulating thought." - Sycamore LM coffee shop 347

i wrote this:
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    and
    just in time
    for memorable holidays
    at a publication near you
    Hidden Content
    share it with someone you treasure
    *flash*
    Hidden Content

When we close our eyes and just listen to his voice can we achieve the same connection? For me, removing the visual aspect, made his words MORE powerful because I was not distracted.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check out my personal blog, Hidden Content

today,
    i call you
    shakespeare
    chaucer-cicero-d'ante
    aquinas
    move
    ing(s)

balcony-stair-bridge-pier
    open air
    open ear

listen
    hear

"Hereby copyright for all things Xonian and Xxildurim is transferred to one named -xXx-" - Mish The Question Game 2458

"...intrusively poetic, robotic way of articulating thought." - Sycamore LM coffee shop 347

i wrote this:
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    and
    just in time
    for memorable holidays
    Hidden Content
    *flash*
    Hidden Content

A lot of kudos for Brandon's performance here. I add my praise to the general lot. I also feel that it's super-great to see poetry so move the young voters that Brandon won their votes. This might mean that the collective unconscious of young people is starved for real feeling and real emotion, rather than the thunka-thunka-thunka boombox bullshit that characterizes much of the music young people favour.

I like spoken word and performance poetry . . .as long as I remind myself that the key is the PERFORMER, not the poetry. Without his superb ability as an actor, some sections and subsections of Brandon's poem would be as flat as piss on a plate. Or mawkish and overdone. Or just prose. The performer is so critical to Spoken Word that it is actually unfair to put the words flat on a page and try to deal with them as only Written Word.

If you're unfamiliar with KATE TEMPEST, you might check out her numerous readings on YouTube. She recites 25-minute poems with nary a note. And it isn't impromptu--da beat, occasional rhyming sections, and other poetic devices throughout, indicate that the pieces are carefully crafted as well as creative and thoughtful.

"I believe in nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of the imagination". Keats, ​Letters

"No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main . . . any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind. And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls -- it tolls for thee. " John Donne, Meditation XVII

Quote Originally Posted by clark View Post
    The performer is so critical to Spoken Word that it is actually unfair to put the words flat on a page and try to deal with them as only Written Word.
    let's pretend
    that what is written
    is intended to be read
    that which is read
    is intended to be said
    that which is said
    is intended to be heard
    that which is heard
    is communicated through word

i might suggest that form (poetic, etc)
    assists in study of art and science
    of linguistic elements,
    much as musical scales
    assist in exploring relationships
    between tones.

i might further suggest
    that a musical composition
    reflects understanding
    of scales
    and interplay,
    as do linguistic compositions.

i might suggest that the fit, form and function
    of brandon leake's work
    is poetry.

i might suggest that the tools
    with which he crafts his work
    are poetry.

i would also suggest that,
    as in many arenas of contemporary life,
    conflict intensifies
    where ritual collides.

i invite you to celebrate
    the enormous contribution this gifted language crafter
    is making at this time, in this multifaceted reality set.

i am confident
    he is celebrating
    your craft
    by gifting
    everyone
    equally.

let's pretend.

*his accomplishment*
    *in no way*
    *diminishes*
    *the works of other poets*

i wrote this:
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    and
    just in time
    for memorable holidays
    Hidden Content
    *flash*
    Hidden Content

My comments below are exclusively on the text of -xXx-'s posts.

1. post#15 closes with this offer:

i can try to covert much of the above
    into conventional written communication structures.
    if i must.
    k.

I would appreciate seeing the points made in "conventional . . . structures" because the staccato short-line style may blur some points in what appears to be a linear, sequential argument, I think in rebuttal of my suggestion that Spoken Word text alone might not fare too well if experienced without a performer.

2. My post was not a negative comment on Brandon's performance. Far from it: I was quite enthralled. My post was an attempt to describe, not criticize, the various factors implicit in Spoken Word that are not assumed in 'normal' poetry. First, a Spoken Word piece is a script, a guide for the performer, not a polished poem. Such 'polished' conventional poems are often heavily edited on numerous occasions as the poet struggles to get on the page exactly what she/he wants.

3. I got from -xXx-'s posts a reverential tone towards Brandon's performance as an example of a "new" poetry which brought the Art form to the people ,and that gift is what is needed in the NOW:

many people experience change from thought
    to word
    to word spoken
    to word spoken before open ears
    as transformative progression.
    yes.
    conventional poetic forms are regularly shared.
    no.

From this, "conventional poetic forms" are seen as Old School, static linguistic forms that should be supplanted by Spoken Word, because conventional poetry lacks social utility. As a use of the Word it is moribund; Spoken Word stands as the instrument of "transformative progression" which will bring poetry back to the people.

The assumption here is that conventional poetry has a burden of social responsibility to the Now which it has not and does not accept. This seems important to the argument.

4. If my last remark is accurate--and it may not be--the core assumption needs to be challenged. For a very long time, conventional poetry has attempted to capture in words the poet's sense of some kind of vision, specific idea or expansive ideal, expressed hope, celebration . . .much more. "The right words in the right order". That many poets revise, revise, revise is an indication of the precision of both process and final copy. That final copy is considered a work of Art . . .an interactive work of Art which requires a reader to complete it BUT, though poetry IS sound and rhythm and music and is enriched when heard as well as read, it need not necessarily be performed.

To be experienced fully, Spoken Word must be performed.

I see no problem whatsoever in Spoken Word and conventional poetry existing side-by-side in the canon of poetic forms. It's all good. Each form fulfills needs for different audiences. One need not supplant the other. One is not "better than" the other.

"I believe in nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of the imagination". Keats, ​Letters

"No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main . . . any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind. And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls -- it tolls for thee. " John Donne, Meditation XVII

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast