Writing in a paperless age

Thread: Writing in a paperless age

Writing now feels 100% pointless. Nobody reads anymore. And if they did and if you could sell a book it would be a cheap eBook that wouldn't profit very well. Pointless.

And wow that's literally the only thing I have to say on the topic. Further proof that I shouldn't be here pretending to be an aspiring writer when I've already given up on everything. I feel like my life is already over and I'm just sitting around waiting to die.
    Life is challenging, Difficult and often unfair. You can either cry about it or survive and succeed.

That sounds a tad melodramatic.

Most of the people I know read. Small sample, I know.

Otherwise, lots of people try writing and then discover it isn't for them, or they get into it and don't like the parts that are hard work and maybe not that fun. There's no shame in that. Not everyone is cut out for it. (And the jury is out on that, as far as I'm concerned.)

I'd give you a pep talk, but if you need a pep talk, then maybe you should be doing something else.

Cheers.
    Last edited by TheManx; September 17th, 2020 at 10:33 PM.

Tbf there are times I feel that way too,
    I wanna read and/or write, but then depression or anxious thoughts settle in and I fear the worse for me and everyone around
    Itís a sad life, and although I feel the pain, I donít think I can live without writing, even if I fear what I write might become true, or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Writing now feels 100% pointless. Nobody reads anymore. And if they did and if you could sell a book it would be a cheap eBook that wouldn't profit very well. Pointless.

And wow that's literally the only thing I have to say on the topic. Further proof that I shouldn't be here pretending to be an aspiring writer when I've already given up on everything. I feel like my life is already over and I'm just sitting around waiting to die.
    I mean, nobody's going to museums these days but I don't think we should be all, "archeology is pointless!"

Seriously though, people really do read and if you're not seeing evidence of that, you need new friends. Also, like, you're literally posting this on a writing forum. You think the majority of us don't read? Do you really, really think that?
    Last edited by Tiamat; Yesterday at 01:27 AM. Reason: clarity
    "A word after a word after a word is power."
    -Margaret Atwood

Ik most of us do read, so no I do think that the majority of us read like a lot.

I was only saying that I too feel like despite wanting to read and/or, write, I fear the worse of what comes out. Never do I mean to disparage those that do read. Forgive me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was actually commenting on the OP in my reply. Probably should have quoted or been clearer about that. Sorry for the confusion.
    "A word after a word after a word is power."
    -Margaret Atwood

Ever consider writing for your Self to read? Some may call that journaling, but writing a story aimed at what You like to read can be quite fulfilling, and then why not let someone else read it, and then someone else, and so on .....

Blog Entries
    I sometimes feel this way receiving free e-versions of Sun/New Yorker/Carve. “What a load of crap, MINE is so much better you bastards. Another death memoir. Your daddy was really special was he yeah yeah sunlight on your fakk off aspidistra. A professor? Seeking the elusive indigenous pot, faaaaak you Tintin.” [Text post-pidgin]