Writing Professions or Workplaces - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Writing Professions or Workplaces

Quote Originally Posted by TheManx View Post
    When I get a new client or project, I have to do research and interviews, so all this comes naturally to me and I really enjoy it. I take a lot of pride in getting details right, even if potentially only a few people would know if they weren't. And one thing I've learned, people usually love to talk about what they do or what they're into. Getting them to stop is sometimes a problem -- and this post may be an example of that...
    Not at all...this is invaluable advice! I really like the forum idea. I'll try that. I also think it's a good idea to write it first and then go into detail where needed. You don't want something someone said to send you off into another direction. Also, you may think you want to go into more detail in some areas, and then realize you don't really need to. I'm also going to look for people to speak with from my chosen industries -- totally agree, people love to talk about their work.

Thanks for the great response!

Your story on the business side of the art world sounds fascinating. That's just the type of thing I love to read. I hope you get that puplished. I think there is a shortage of good stories like that...
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

Most of my out put is sci fi. It kinda makes it hard to research workplace dialogue for another species.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    We have talked about writing men, writing women and writing about other cultures. I think most agree that having some experience in your subject helps, but if you have no experience it doesn't limit you, provided you do the work.

One of my pet peeves is workplace dialogue that is not believable. But then I always placate myself, by accepting that most writers don't have a lot of varied workplace experience to draw from.

I have noticed a lot of first time novelists write about their own workplace. Oddly, although I've had an interesting career, I chose not to write about my own workplace for my first crack at a novel. Fortunately, I have found a number of great books on my protagonist's career, and some written in first person which is very helpful.

However, I am curious to know how others approach this. What type of research do you do to write professions and workplaces? What other techniques do you use to make it believable?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12