Ideas? - Page 7

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Messer View Post
    Dreams and Nightmares mostly. Music while I'm sleeping can induce it more.
    Dreams are often where I get ideas, and I neglected to remember this during my first post. The only issues with story ideas that come from dreams are the fact that a lot of times, my dreams don't make a lot of sense nor do I remember them all. I do however, jot down points from dreams that I do remember and draw inspiration from. One has to piece together the fragments and look for meaning before using them to their full potential.

-JJB
    ​"Strong convictions precede great actions....."

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by JJBuchholz View Post
    Dreams are often where I get ideas, and I neglected to remember this during my first post. The only issues with story ideas that come from dreams are the fact that a lot of times, my dreams don't make a lot of sense nor do I remember them all. I do however, jot down points from dreams that I do remember and draw inspiration from. One has to piece together the fragments and look for meaning before using them to their full potential.

-JJB
    I have heard entire songs complete with lyrics, but I only seem to remember the sound of the notes and lyrics during the chorus. I see in color, even remembered eating a nice juicy cheeseburger. It smelled better, and tasted better than any I had ever eaten. I can taste, smell, touch... everything. It's sometimes very hard to tell I'm dreaming, and I always have to look at my hands to know. As soon as I do... poof! I wake up, or enter another dream or nightmare. Sometimes it goes on for hours I think... one dream to another.

Once when I was young, I was tested to see why I got such high grades on tests without trying. I would read the chapter once, and never did the homework, yet I would get 100% or more regularly. Less than 100% was actually less likely. Anyway, they gave me an EEG, and found I was dreaming the entire time once I got into deep sleep. It was supposedly unusual, but I don't think it happens now that I'm older. Every once in while though, I get to do something cool. If its too fantastical, my mind rejects the reality, and I wake up. I hate that. It pretty much ruins my day. I wish that would happen when I'm having a nightmare though... it always seems to know I'm afraid and I want out. It always keeps me there just to torture me a bit longer.

My nightmares are not something I enjoy talking about, but I use them in my novels. Good enough for me, well then it must be good enough for you too. By all means... explore.

Sometimes when I look at my hands, I can create weapons in them to fight back. Sometimes a sword, or gun, or lightning. If I look down at my feet, sometimes I can fly. Sometimes I can change myself into something more evil than the nightmare itself. What better way to fight the zombie apocalypse than to turn into something worse. lol.

People are weird aren't they? "This little boy does really well." They don't say "Wow that's cool, good on him." They run tests to find out what's 'Wrong'. Doh!

My mate was always the trouble maker, but he was really good at maths, came home with an end of term report that said, "Does not pay attention, could do better." from his math teacher and got a hiding from his Dad, never mind the fact that he got 100% in the math exam. As he said "How could I do better than that?"
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Life, is careering along the catastrophe curve with your ass hanging over the edge. Embrace the madness. Good luck
    BC
    Quote Originally Posted by Plaidman View Post
    As a new writer, one of my biggest struggles is trying to figure out what to write about.

Do your ideas just come to you? If so, how?
    Do you have to go hunt your idea down? If so, how?

I can sell you some ideas. They're currently going for a dime a dozen.

Sometimes I watch a movie or read a book and afterward wish they had done it differently. They're either unimaginative or fall into over used tropes - so I take those as seeds and write what I wish I could read.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Think about what you'd like to see done. What story haven't you seen told that you think would be interesting?

I love me some Elder Scrolls and Witcher, but if I see one more fantasy story with elves in it, I'm going to explode. ​Don't be generic.
    Did some research on elves. They're actually a descendant of an earlier race of hominid called fae. Both seem to have "sprung from nature". According to ancient mythology, these beings are all nymphs, sprites, brownies, boggans, leprechauns, dwarves, gnomes, dryads, etc... and exist all the way back to babylonian mythology (yep, around the same time poems were written about vampires and child-stealing life sucking demons). Even Zoroastrianism has reference to pre-religions before them from destroyed civilizations with similarity. Even northern druids believed in these "nature spirits", which were not always good. I would class them as a subclassification like we would do with biology, and then try to find anthropological similarity across ancient religions or mythology, this seems to be the most obvious connection.

Elves are just a subtype, maybe even a genus. Maybe there are many kinds of elves, but also that means we have not spoken about any of the other families of fae, or genus, or species if you can see where I am going. This is a story untold. Fertile ground.

Take a look on the internet at images inspired by Brian Froud.

Take a look on the internet at images inspired by Brian Froud.
    Thought I would take a look and realised that 'Faeries' book was his, his two models for the pictures were the daughters of a friend. Twenty five year anniversary edition! They must be grown women with children of their own by now.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    Thought I would take a look and realised that 'Faeries' book was his, his two models for the pictures were the daughters of a friend. Twenty five year anniversary edition! They must be grown women with children of their own by now.
    Yeah He's inspired a lot of movies too.

Labyrinth...
    The Dark Crystal...

Cant remember the others, but those two are favorites. Great for inspiring fantasy. I'm working my Fantasy/Horror crossover right now. I always try to bring these things to reality in my books. It's part of my style. "If Horror really existed in this world, what would it be like?" is the question every one of my books asks. I always cross Horror with other genres. Fantasy has been one of my more difficult ones. I have to "hide" the magic because it's so vulgar and blatant in it's own. Skeksis from the Dark Crystal are great fantasy/horror inspirations as well... if a bit PC or G rated. I'm writing R rated material. No one that can write really scary material seems to do that anymore.

Anyway, most of my "fae" are B. Froud inspired.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567