Writing about sisters

Thread: Writing about sisters

Writing about sisters

Hi!

Are you a woman and do you have sisters? My WIP has a touch of Little Women and Pride and Prejudice inspiration (in modern setting) as I want to write about a set of sisters. I have no sisters myself. And I have known a few set of sisters in real life but I feel like I need more inspiration about different personalities and family dynamics. Would anyone share something of yourself with me, if you'd like?

A few questions..

How different are you and your sister(s) in personality?

What are the differences and similarities?

What is the age difference between you and your sister(s) and how does it impact your relationship?

Do you get along well with your sister(s)?
    Why yes or why not?

How much of stereotypes do you fit in as oldest, middle or youngest child?

Did you ever feel like living in the shadow of your sister(s)?

Did you ever compete with your sister(s)?

Was there ever any jealousy between you and your sister(s)?

Have you ever been compared to your sister(s)?

How is your (individual) relationship with your sister(s)?
    Last edited by Rewrite The Ending; August 17th, 2020 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rewrite The Ending View Post
    Hi!

Are you a woman and do you have sisters? My WIP has a touch of Little Women and Pride and Prejudice inspiration (in modern setting) as I want to write about a set of sisters. I have no sisters myself. And I have known a few set of sisters in real life but I feel like I need more inspiration about different personalities and family dynamics. Would anyone share something of yourself with me, if you'd like?

A few questions..

Completely different. I am an INTJ and she is an ESTP on the Myers Briggs scale.

Differences:

Introvert/Extrovert. Analytical/Emotional. Pragmatic/Sentimental.
    Very Educated/High School only.

Similarities:

Both very big on family. Both very creative. We love to share our creative ideas and encourage each other to do creative things.

What is the age difference between you and your sister(s) and how does it impact your relationship?

She is five years older then me. We were too far apart to play together very much as kids. I was always chasing after her, and she was always trying to get away from me...lol! Now there is no impact.

Why yes or why not?

Yes. Perhaps because we are so different.

Not really at all. I tend to be the advisor in the realationship. Mostly due to my pragmatic side. I tried taking her advice when I was younger and it was disastrous.

In the begining. But around late teens, I started to step out of the shadow into her limelight. She was much more talented than me, but I was the darkhorse that just kept plodding along, and didn't give up.

Not really. Again, we were just so different. We didn't want the same things. We once dated the same guy, but neither of us saw future with him fortunately. That could have been weird otherwise...lol!

I think she may have been a little jealous during a certain time period, when I had a number of significant accomplishments in a row. But eventually, it went away. I remember when I graduatied with a degree in fashion design, and my parents bought me a sewing machine as a graduation present. They had to buy her one too. I don't think she ever used it. So one day when she needed maternity clothes I came over and used it to sew her some dresses. It was a really fun time and we really bonded over it! That's what great about sisters. They don't usually hold grudges or resentments for long.

I can't really remember anything. I suspect my parents might have compared us privately when trying to figure out how they had two such different daughters.

Very good. We speak by phone at least once a week. We avoid giving advice, and accept the fact that we both have a very different decision model. But we are both very happy in life in different ways, so we don't question each others' decisions anymore.
    Good luck with your story! Wonder what direction you will go with your sisters...
    Last edited by Taylor; September 2nd, 2020 at 10:11 PM.
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

Hi, rewrite! I have six sisters, one older and five younger. (I'll just refer to them by first initials in my responses). Good luck!

I feel that we're very different, but when people meet us they note the similarities immediately!

All strong-willed, artistic, intense to varying degrees. We are all passionate and have strong opinions, but that can be expressed in different ways. Me and my younger sister closest in age (T.) are both more loud about what we think; my older sister (A.) isn't as noisy but she can still be forceful. I approach things more from intuition supported by reason and A. approaches more from feeling and relationship.

Like I said, we're all artistic, but with different focuses that reflect our personalities: (A. - beauty, character-driven narrative; me - poetry, weirdness, all kinds of different forms; T. - music, realism, video editing; C. - pro-level visual art/manga; J. - comics, personal/emotion-driven story; S. - making stuff with her hands, symbolism; t. - animation, strong evocative line)

And we all express femininity in different ways. Even just among the three oldest, T. has this wild, bubbly expression of joy (think MPDG trope without the problematic parts), and A. is more regal, noble, queenly.

We're all smart. Intellectual debate and discussion is just part of our family culture, so even the sisters who don't participate as much can come off to their friends as someone who really knows how to defend their beliefs and has strong ideas about politics/art/anything.

Mostly intervals of approximately 2 years, except T. and J. are four years apart (boy in between), and C. and J. are around the same age. I think being close in age means we move through life as a group, but having such a big family means that will sometimes happen in chunks. So me and A. and the oldest boy all had our anime phase together, our video game phase together, etc.

Why yes or why not?
    Mostly yes. We all believe in Jesus, which makes any other disagreement less important. We pray for each other and for our family. Sometimes when we're moving forward spiritually they'll be some strife/drama but we'll come out on the other side closer. I know this may sound crazy, but my family has experienced quite a bit of actual demonic attack, so when you've faced that together you kind of have to be more unified!

I'm not really familiar with those stereotypes, and I'm not sure how they'd apply to such a big family! I'm in the middle of the first three sisters. According to Google middle children are social butterflies, peacekeepers, and fairness-obsessed. I'm definitely fairness-obsessed, but I wonder if that just comes from my general intensity about moral principles (I remember one time I was playing capture the flag with my brother's friends and they got into our territory by pretending to surrender - a false flag operation, essentially - and I unironically accused them of committing a war crime). I'd say T. is more of a social butterfly than me, but I'm more extroverted than her, because I think she recharges alone. I'm kind of a peacekeeper but justice is more important to me than peace, lol.

No. We're all very distinctive. We're all talented. People definitively think of us as a family (oh, you're __'s sister/daughter/etc.) and I'm so good with that because I'm so proud of my family.

Of course. We're competitive surrounding art, I think. Secretly I think we all want to be the best artist/writer/musician/whatever. But we also support each other, so...? My entire family is also super competitive with board games and card games. We can never play with friends we invite over because they always get really freaked out by how intense it gets!

I don't know. Not to a super unhealthy extent. I think I was jealous of T. for a while because she had written way better songs than I had. But the thing is, we talk about it, so it doesn't fester into something bad. It's just like, "I wish I was as good at X as you!"

Kind of. My parents never did. But people will be like, "I can see how you guys are sisters!" or "Your whole family is really weird."

All very good. I am the only one out of the house so when I visit it's a big deal, lol.

I'm really close to the two closest in age (A. and T.), because we shared rooms as kids and had most of the same experiences. A. and I are 'accountability partners' (discipleship term, means we confess our faults to each other and pray for each other and keep each other accountable to the standards we set for ourselves). A. is also the only one I fight with sometimes because we process together. T. and I love being weird together. I also embarrass both of them in public.

With J. and C. it's like a cross between an adult/adult and an adult/child relationship, because they're still young teenagers. I try to give them advice and help them grow, but we also connect on a semi-peer level. J. and I can talk for a long time about pretty much anything and we are also both very physically affectionate, so a lot of hugs! I watch anime with C. sometimes and we draw together.

S. and t. are very much my little sisters. I have strong memories of them as babies still, so it's so weird that they're now growing up. t. and I have some artistic similarities, and we're both daydreamers. I'm in a good place to be able to advise t. because we have some of the same struggles that may seem unusual but to us are very normal. S. and I also like to talk, and S. is the younger sister who most likes to participate in the older kids' debates!
    Last edited by ArrowInTheBowOfTheLord; August 17th, 2020 at 10:45 PM.
    In my mouth, if there be sweetness,
    It has come from my Creator;
    If my hands are filled with beauty,
    All the beauty comes from God.
    ~ from The Kalevala (paraphrased)

Whom have I in heaven but You?
    And earth has nothing I desire besides You.

~ Psalm 73:25

Christ is risen from the dead,
    trampling on Death by death,
    And on those in the tombs,
    lavishing light.

No!

Hi!

A few questions..

Why yes or why not?

I and my sister are extremely different in personality!

Are you a woman and do you have sisters?
    My sister is a literal crackhead and we don't speak so my input is going to be largely useless. I just came here to say that this first line made me think I was about to read a late night infomercial. "Are you a woman and do you have sisters? Are they always competing with you to be the smartest, prettiest, or flirtiest? Do you sometimes wish they would just fall flat on their face into a mudpuddle? Introducing Port-a-puddle!"

Sorry, I'll wander back on topic now. The sister is 14ish years older than me. I don't know the exact age difference because I didn't meet her for the first time till I was 17. (Half sister, mom's first marriage. Also, crackhead.) I've interacted with her maybe a half a dozen times since then. We've never progressed beyond polite small talk and I'm honestly okay with that. Because crackhead.

My partner and her sister are complete opposites. Her sister is a nose in the air, my poop doesn't stink snooty person, whereas my partner is a fun outdoor girl that rides her own motorcycle.

We have 2 daughters, and again, they could not be any different. The older one is career driven and ambitious, but always sort of on edge. She's been described as someone that really lights up a room... sort of like a grenade does when you toss it through the door. My younger daughter is quiet, loves reading romance novels, and is generally unmotivated.

Needless to say, my partner and her sister don't get along AT ALL - and the same can be said for my daughters.

I fit the criteria (a woman with a sister) but these questions are way too personal and will vary widely, anyway.

Yes, and yes.

Surprisingly, not that much. I'm more introverted, while the others are somewhat extroverts.

As above, I'm super shy. I've slowly gotten to where I can deal with people in real life, but it's extremely tiring. My other sisters have always been more outgoing, though not total extroverts.

My first sister is four years younger, the second is nine years younger, and the last is eleven years younger. I'm the oldest, and was always the one who looked after my siblings (two brothers included). There was the usual sibling issues, with six kids fighting for attention. But we were raised to be close, to support each other, and defend each other if needed.

Why yes or why not?

For the most part, yes. There have been issues over the years, of course, but for the most part, we're close. We've learned to ignore some things that aren't optimal (not getting details, too personal), and if any of us was in trouble, the others would come running.

Definitely the oldest, though I wish it weren't so. Being an extreme introvert, I never wanted to be up front, drawing attention. I always hated that teachers would ask my younger siblings why they weren't more like me, why they didn't study harder, or work harder at school. The truth was, I'm not any smarter, didn't work any harder or study more. I was always artistic, while my siblings weren't, which was another thing they didn't like being reminded of. lol

Nope!

Not really. Being the oldest, I was ahead of them in school, got to drive first, left home first, and so on.

My first sister was always jealous because I was smaller (thinner and shorter), was more imaginative, and got attention from boys (there was an incident where she bashed me on the back of the neck with a full, large can of beer because a boy she had a crush on said something to me. That thing about seeing stars? Totally happens.). I don't think the younger two had any problems like that, being as I was grown by the time they got to be teens.

Not to my face.

I get along with them fine. They know I'm there for them if they need me. They're my sisters. We don't abandon family. I may not agree with everything they do, and I'm sure they have the same feeling, but no matter what, we're going to go to the line for each other.

I would use this opportunity to subvert the cliche and generally let my imagination run amok
    Good luck
    Hi!

A few questions..

Why yes or why not?