Readers Wanted for "Guardian Angel", especially UK based

Thread: Readers Wanted for "Guardian Angel", especially UK based

Blog Entries

Readers Wanted for "Guardian Angel", especially UK based

Okay. After a week of posting dribs and drabs hit and miss in the Workshop, I'm ready to ask for beta readers for my completed novel manuscript, Guardian Angel (71K words).

The story follows the eponymous angel who has been protecting "her boy" since he was conceived thirty-plus years ago and has longed to meet him in his world—as unlikely as that might be. One dark night in a lonely rail yard that dream comes true...or is it the beginning of a nightmare?

One conceit which I have in this story, and the reason why I especially want to find a UK-based reader, is that the tale is being recounted by a narrator who is herself an angel and is the assistant and best friend of the angelic protagonist. I've written this second angel to have a veddy British background, and moreover I've presumed that she is of the opinion that the English language "peaked" in the early 20th century and therefore writes with some semi-archaisms such as the proper usage of "who" and "whom", the use of diaereses for double vowels sounded separately, and a greater use of adverbs and passive voice than normally seen these days. Even so, I am also presuming that she is thoroughly up to date and precise enough to so write only when she is speaking with her own voice in her own words; when as the narrator she is relating the actions or quoting the words of another she uses the style which they would use (typically contemporary American).

The genre, obviously, is speculative theological fantasy. But there is also a strong romantic undercurrent between the angel and the human as well as police and crime content. Language is PG (obvious euphemisms are employed, with tongue firmly in cheek on the part of my narrator character, for strong profanity although some mild profanity does slip through) but some of the situations would be PG-13 or even R if filmed, particularly towards the end.

I started working on the characters and situations all the way back in 1983 and then developed the story for a screenwriting class 20+ years ago, then let it sit. A few years back I dusted it off for NaNoWriMo; while I didn't "win" at the time I kept plugging at it and now I think you'll agree that it is ready for prime time. Or at least close!

I'd prefer to distribute the manuscript to interested readers as emailed PDF, although I can probably generate EPUB if you prefer. Thanks for extending me your consideration.
    There are very few problems which cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives....

Are your characters taking a train ride? Visit Hidden Content ...or ask me!

--------Eric H. Bowen

Quote Originally Posted by ehbowen View Post
    Okay. After a week of posting dribs and drabs hit and miss in the Workshop, I'm ready to ask for beta readers for my completed novel manuscript, Guardian Angel (71K words).

The story follows the eponymous angel who has been protecting "her boy" since he was conceived thirty-plus years ago and has longed to meet him in his world—as unlikely as that might be. One dark night in a lonely rail yard that dream comes true...or is it the beginning of a nightmare?

One conceit which I have in this story, and the reason why I especially want to find a UK-based reader, is that the tale is being recounted by a narrator who is herself an angel and is the assistant and best friend of the angelic protagonist. I've written this second angel to have a veddy British background, and moreover I've presumed that she is of the opinion that the English language "peaked" in the early 20th century and therefore writes with some semi-archaisms such as the proper usage of "who" and "whom", the use of diaereses for double vowels sounded separately, and a greater use of adverbs and passive voice than normally seen these days. Even so, I am also presuming that she is thoroughly up to date and precise enough to so write only when she is speaking with her own voice in her own words; when as the narrator she is relating the actions or quoting the words of another she uses the style which they would use (typically contemporary American).

The genre, obviously, is speculative theological fantasy. But there is also a strong romantic undercurrent between the angel and the human as well as police and crime content. Language is PG (obvious euphemisms are employed, with tongue firmly in cheek on the part of my narrator character, for strong profanity although some mild profanity does slip through) but some of the situations would be PG-13 or even R if filmed, particularly towards the end.

I started working on the characters and situations all the way back in 1983 and then developed the story for a screenwriting class 20+ years ago, then let it sit. A few years back I dusted it off for NaNoWriMo; while I didn't "win" at the time I kept plugging at it and now I think you'll agree that it is ready for prime time. Or at least close!

I'd prefer to distribute the manuscript to interested readers as emailed PDF, although I can probably generate EPUB if you prefer. Thanks for extending me your consideration.
    Did you ever get any takers for this via private message? I noticed there weren't any direct replies in the thread. Your story resonated with me since 19 years transpired from the first word of my first novel to "The End".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vranger View Post
    Did you ever get any takers for this via private message? I noticed there weren't any direct replies in the thread. Your story resonated with me since 19 years transpired from the first word of my first novel to "The End".
    No, 'fraid not. I did pay for an editor to do a professional critique. She was quite complimentary, although she recommended that I tighten up the first few chapters...I've got a lot of "set-up" material before the real meat of the story begins. Working on it.
    There are very few problems which cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives....

Are your characters taking a train ride? Visit Hidden Content ...or ask me!

--------Eric H. Bowen