Word for a facial expression

Thread: Word for a facial expression

Word for a facial expression

In order to explain the kind of expression I'm talking about, I need to set up a short scene.

Guy is a rock climber. You're his friend, and ask if he's good at rock climbing. He says yes, but you don't believe him. He's climbed Everest and won multiple competitions, but you still don't believe him. Then one day you ask him to climb a difficult course and he does so with obvious ease.
    "Wow, you're actually really good!" you say.
    And then your friend gives you the "look." The raised eyebrow "duh" look. The "yeah, of course I am. Like, I already knew this."

Would this look be considered exasperated? Condescending, maybe? (I don't really consider it to be strictly arrogant, either.) Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not so sure this can be done with a single word, but maybe you can use this to help strengthen Guy's character. He can get annoyed that you thought he was lying. He can have a hissy fit and not talk to you for a day or so. He can laugh and say, "But of course." He can make a joke about needing to change his underwear after a climb like that. He can roll his eyes. He can be sarcastic.

I think though than an eye roll might be appropriate as that can indicate many things and you may wish to leave his character open for now.

I like 'lofty', 'aloof', 'smug' or 'pompous'. I don't consider those as negative as 'condescending' which I think describes a method of communication or judgment.

If you want to be fancy, try 'supercilious'.

Can't think of a precise word either. I'd try something like:

"Wow, you're actually really good!"
    Guy raised an assured eyebrow. "I know."
    Guy raised an eyebrow as if to say duh.
    Guy raised an eyebrow: duh.
    Guy had a way of rolling his eyes by raising an eyebrow.

Quote Originally Posted by avatarrules123 View Post
    In order to explain the kind of expression I'm talking about, I need to set up a short scene.

Guy is a rock climber. You're his friend, and ask if he's good at rock climbing. He says yes, but you don't believe him. He's climbed Everest and won multiple competitions, but you still don't believe him. Then one day you ask him to climb a difficult course and he does so with obvious ease.
    "Wow, you're actually really good!" you say.
    And then your friend gives you the "look." The raised eyebrow "duh" look. The "yeah, of course I am. Like, I already knew this."

Would this look be considered exasperated? Condescending, maybe? (I don't really consider it to be strictly arrogant, either.) Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Try not to fall into the trap of searching for the "one word" that captures it all. That way lies convoluted adverbiage, written convolutedly. Try for a succinct description of the body language.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

The first cut don't hurt at all
    The second only makes you wonder
    The third will have you on your knee
    s
    - Propaganda, "Duel"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

incredulous or disparaging come to mine - but in that characters place I would think he was an idiot for doubting.

ETA: Or you could go with body mannerisms, such as shaking his head or chuckling.