All Things Rejection! - Page 8


Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151618 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 200

Thread: All Things Rejection!

  1. #71
    One has the positive side of abrupt refusals - there are no unnecessary hopes, you just take up the job again.

  2. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by john1298 View Post
    One has the positive side of abrupt refusals - there are no unnecessary hopes, you just take up the job again.
    Yes thank you John...and so I will!
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

  3. #73
    Member ehbowen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    183
    Blog Entries
    1
    First four queries (all to the same agency, my very first choice) sent today...will any of them connect? Fingers crossed!
    There are very few problems which cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives....

    Are your characters taking a train ride? Visit Hidden Content ...or ask me!

    --------Eric H. Bowen

  4. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by ehbowen View Post
    First four queries (all to the same agency, my very first choice) sent today...will any of them connect? Fingers crossed!
    You sent four queries to one agency? You’re typically not supposed to do that...
    Deactivated due to staff trolling. Bye!

  5. #75
    Member ehbowen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    183
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    You sent four queries to one agency? You’re typically not supposed to do that...
    Okay. Live and learn. But it was to four agents at a major agency who were listed as being willing to consider open submissions, and if I could pick any agency to represent me it would be this one. I am being honest about that. We'll see if that gets me anywhere.
    There are very few problems which cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives....

    Are your characters taking a train ride? Visit Hidden Content ...or ask me!

    --------Eric H. Bowen

  6. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by ehbowen View Post
    Okay. Live and learn. But it was to four agents at a major agency who were listed as being willing to consider open submissions, and if I could pick any agency to represent me it would be this one. I am being honest about that. We'll see if that gets me anywhere.
    I would suggest you check their submission guidelines right away (should always do this) and see if they mention a policy on it. If they don't mention a policy, I would reach out to them and check if it's a problem.

    Different agencies are different but the general rule is you can query multiple agents (and you should) but only one per agency at a time. This is because agents don't want to be in competition with others at their same organization, for obvious reasons. If/when an agent rejects, you may be able to query another agent at their company, or they may have a rule that you cannot -- they may share work internally, negating the need for multiple queries.

    Bottom line is you don't want to flout the rules on this stuff. At best, it makes it seem like you're unsure on the etiquette and, at worst, some agencies will see it as spamming and actually blacklist you. I don't think that's very usual (and it's pretty harsh) but that would be super unfortunate, especially if you really like the agency.

    https://jetreidliterary.blogspot.com...gency.html?m=1

    https://bookendsliterary.com/2016/09...e-same-agency/
    Deactivated due to staff trolling. Bye!

  7. #77
    I started submitting a few months ago (in the UK). So far I've received six straight rejections and a few I'm waiting to hear back from. Not sure whether to rework the opening based on this and no personalised feedback! The opening was longlisted in an established first chapter competition this year, so it makes me wonder what needs changing (something obviously does but no idea what).

  8. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Age View Post
    I started submitting a few months ago (in the UK). So far I've received six straight rejections and a few I'm waiting to hear back from. Not sure whether to rework the opening based on this and no personalised feedback! The opening was longlisted in an established first chapter competition this year, so it makes me wonder what needs changing (something obviously does but no idea what).
    Could just be that you haven't found the right market/agent yet though. Six seems like a relatively small number as a start.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamat
    Well I woke up this morning to a rejection from Hypnos, but a maybe from Wyldblood. I'm assuming the latter only emailed me because their website says they respond to all submissions within 14 days and today is day 14. (That's really awesome of them, for the record.) So they replied and said they loved it and asked to hold it for a bit longer while they make their final selections. I said yes of course, because duh (and re: the sim sub conversation, I reiterated that the same story is still pending one other place, because etiquette). That said, every time I've gotten a "maybe," it has always turned into a no later. Here's hoping that trend gets broken...
    Well for the first time ever, I had a "maybe" become a "yes." Wyldblood bought my frog prince rewrite. It's going in their January issue. Yay!
    Last edited by Tiamat; October 18th, 2020 at 05:17 PM.

  9. #79
    I had a 8-cent-per-word publisher say that, while they liked the story, it's setting, and characters, the editors would have preferred slightly more character interaction towards the beginning to increase the emotional conflict within the protagonist.

    You might say it's hard to make it in the SFWA-qualifying market.

  10. #80
    I support personal rejections 100%.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.