All Things Rejection! - Page 17

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 79101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: All Things Rejection!

I got a helpful rejection today: "The imagery was quite beautiful and the plot was intriguing, but by the end [we] thought the plot raised more questions about the character's identity than it answered. The plot was a bit too vague."

Well, that sounds easy to fix for the next submission.

It sounds like, for speculative fiction, I need to remember to have a clarifying scene.

It sounds like, for speculative fiction, I need to remember to have a clarifying scene
    Depends on the editor. But I would generally agree, even the more experimental mags have a more cut-and-dried approach to storytelling.
    Nail it to the Cross

I used to complain that so many stories are told the same way. Now I see why that is.

It reminds me of the obligatory "paranormal expert" scene in speculative horror films.

I remember reading a book that took at least one chapter explaining what a vampire is. "Please," I begged the author, "stop."

But that's what editors tend towards.

(I'm not being salty about the rejection I just got; this is just a related and relevant tangent.)

If only the landlord accepted ​unfortunately's as payment.

I'd be set for life.

Heard from Clarkesworld today, after subbing to them four days ago. I appreciate how quickly they crush my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamat View Post
    Heard from Clarkesworld today, after subbing to them four days ago. I appreciate how quickly they crush my dreams.
    F&SF are great like that, too. 2-day rejections. A mixed blessing.
    In my mouth, if there be sweetness,
    It has come from my Creator;
    If my hands are filled with beauty,
    All the beauty comes from God.
    ~ from The Kalevala (paraphrased)

Whom have I in heaven but You?
    And earth has nothing I desire besides You.

~ Psalm 73:25

Christ is risen from the dead,
    trampling on Death by death,
    And on those in the tombs,
    lavishing light.

Quote Originally Posted by ArrowInTheBowOfTheLord View Post
    F&SF are great like that, too. 2-day rejections. A mixed blessing.
    I'm still sitting on a maybe from them from a month ago so hopefully that one pans out!

I'm still sitting on a maybe from them from a month ago so hopefully that one pans out!
    Even a maybe is worth a congratulations if it's from F&SF.
    Nail it to the Cross

Rejections inhibit the creative process.
    Also, queries take up a goodly chunk of my writing time.
    Tis why I became an Indie.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamat View Post
    Don't feel bad. Clarkesworld has been crushing everyone's dreams for some time now, myself included.

-J.
    ​"Strong convictions precede great actions....."

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content