All Things Rejection! - Page 15

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: All Things Rejection!

Quote Originally Posted by BornForBurning View Post
    I encourage either prolific submitting or highly targeted submitting. Editors have taste, vision. They are artists, just like us, and their mag is their artistic product. Even if what you have is really good, it often isn't going to fit into their vision of what the magazine is supposed to be. I'm more of a prolific submitter. It's worked decently for me. My sister does targeted submitting. Reading a mag, figuring out whether she likes it, whether or not the editors have similar tastes/vision to her own and then submitting. I prefer scatter-shot submitting because I've yet to find a magazine besides Strange Horizons that fits inside my own tastes. Unfortunately, Strange Horizons are very liberal, and I'm not. And the more experimental my writing (aka, the closer it gets to what SH publishes), the less ​liberal it becomes.
    I discourage highly-targeted submission. Not because it's a bad idea, but because it's time consuming, potentially costs money, and ultimately rests on trying to intuit editors, which is something I don't actually think most writers are very good at. Looking at the kind of material a magazine has targeted in the past can be helpful, but editors can be fickle and their tastes may evolve over time and, ultimately, if they are after something 'different' then all that research may actually work against you. Additionally, I do not believe that targeted research is more efficient in terms of time or more likely to yield success than simply submitting to everybody as expeditiously as possible. But I don't know. How many stories has your sister published, out of curiosity?

Also, what do you mean about Strange Horizons being liberal? What does 'liberal' mean in this context? It's such an abused term these days.
    Deactivated due to staff trolling. Bye!

Also, what do you mean about Strange Horizons being liberal?
    Yeah, I meant generally left-wing (in the American sense) with a bent towards CRT / neo-Marxism. Not necessarily ideologically Liberal, though they are related. Yes, I know I am using a colloquialism. I figure most people here are probably familiar enough with SH's content to contextualize what I meant by 'liberal.' But I appreciate the request for clarity.

I think my sister has published 3 - 4 short stories. But she writes significantly less short fiction than I do, so the percentage is more significant. From my perspective, it seems to work. But she's also not submitting to one publisher. She submits to about five per story. In comparison, I probably submit to twelve, on average.
    Nail it to the Cross

It makes me wonder what kind of story one has to submit to be rejected on the basis of "critical race theory."

Quote Originally Posted by EternalGreen View Post
    It makes me wonder what kind of story one has to submit to be rejected on the basis of "critical race theory."
    Ah, so that's what it means. Although, I'm still unsure what it actually means.
    Last edited by Monaque; December 23rd, 2020 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EternalGreen View Post
    Here's a possibility (mere speculation, based on my reading of a few CRT-based writing blogs and conversations with people based in the worldview): "We Who Died in Glory," which I posted in the Workshop and I know you read. First count against it is that American patriotism figures in the story, for the most part "unexamined." That's not to say that neo-Marxism inherently excludes American patriotism, but there's often an ideological clash in our current context because of the colonialism question. Second count against it is the Christian God is presented as the true God. This is often seen, from a CRT perspective, as imposing "western" or "white" religion on everyone. Now, I STRONGLY disagree with this, as Christianity is neither "white" nor "western," BUT that can be the perspective the CRT worldview takes. Third count (may not be noticeable, but I thought of it) is the MC is suggested to be Ojibwe by his last name, and I am a white author -- I've noticed that some people deeply entrenched in CRT are highly suspicious of non-ownvoices Native American characters. Now again, this is all speculation. I am not thinking of any specific mags, just speaking from my understanding of the CRT worldview. Because it IS an at least embryonic ideology, and not just a way of talking about race.

One thing that isn't speculation: magazines like Strange Horizons prioritize stories with LGBTQ+ characters. Of course, they're not going to reject a story for not having them, but like any magazine, they have their priorities. And those priorities are ideologically motivated (of course). And there's nothing wrong with that, inherently. If I were an editor of a literary magazine, I would also have ideologically motivated priorities. But thinking that it doesn't influence acceptance/rejection would be silly. Of course it does. Just recently in this thread we had an example of a magazine that rejected a story largely because they disagreed with the author's perspective on war.

ETA: Do correct me where I am incorrect in my assessment. I am limited by my experience.
    Last edited by ArrowInTheBowOfTheLord; December 23rd, 2020 at 05:46 PM.
    In my mouth, if there be sweetness,
    It has come from my Creator;
    If my hands are filled with beauty,
    All the beauty comes from God.
    ~ from The Kalevala (paraphrased)

Whom have I in heaven but You?
    And earth has nothing I desire besides You.

~ Psalm 73:25

Christ is risen from the dead,
    trampling on Death by death,
    And on those in the tombs,
    lavishing light.

Quote Originally Posted by ArrowInTheBowOfTheLord View Post
    ...One thing that isn't speculation: magazines like Strange Horizons prioritize stories with LGBTQ+ characters. Of course, they're not going to reject a story for not having them, but like any magazine, they have their priorities. And those priorities are ideologically motivated (of course). And there's nothing wrong with that, inherently. If I were an editor of a literary magazine, I would also have ideologically motivated priorities. But thinking that it doesn't influence acceptance/rejection would be silly. Of course it does. Just recently in this thread we had an example of a magazine that rejected a story largely because they disagreed with the author's perspective on war.
    Now that is interesting, never got that vibe when I was reading up on their guidelines, what I can remember of it. Is this something that happens a lot then, magazines prioritizing according to their particular perspectives?

Blog Entries
    Life’s too short to get entangled on that wire.

Sure, given half an hour on Twitter, one might truly believe only gay, and female-identifying, and between the ages of 14 and 12 (sic), limbless, cancer-riddled Antarctic tribespeople’s domesticated pets ever even got a single haiku published online et cetera...

..anyway, enough of my scene.

Perhaps you're right, easy to overthink things, best to just write what you like and see if someone else does too.

Just received a rejection email this morning, and found a silver lining in it. The publisher stated that after careful and lengthy deliberations
    (over a span of the last two weeks), they ultimately decided to not to purchase my story. This leads me to believe that said story might be
    better than I thought it was, as this publisher accepts or rejects by committee.

A rejection such as this where you can read between the lines is most preferable. It didn't leave me with a sense of loss, but rather has
    made me think about said story and give me hope that it will be picked up and published by someone out there.

-JJB
    ​"Strong convictions precede great actions....."

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by JJBuchholz View Post
    Just received a rejection email this morning, and found a silver lining in it. The publisher stated that after careful and lengthy deliberations
    (over a span of the last two weeks), they ultimately decided to not to purchase my story. This leads me to believe that said story might be
    better than I thought it was, as this publisher accepts or rejects by committee.

A rejection such as this where you can read between the lines is most preferable. It didn't leave me with a sense of loss, but rather has
    made me think about said story and give me hope that it will be picked up and published by someone out there.

-JJB
    At least it does give you a little something to work with.