All Things Rejection! - Page 11

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Rejection!

Recently I had a really good experience with rejection. I submitted a piece to one journal and they promptly rejected it. Then I submitted it to another magazine, a much better market (a higher prestige market), and they immediately accepted it. I'm so glad the first market rejected my work because that helped me get my work into a journal I thought was well above my writing capabilities. (Now and then I like to remind myself that rejection isn't always a bad thing.)
    Free Download of My Chapbook: Flash Fiction: A Primer
    Hidden Content

List Stories: Lists of the Literary Kind. See my essay at Hidden Content

Anybody ever submit to TQR? The readers post public, forum-like comments about the submissions, so you get some pretty good insights as to how your story landed with various readers. A few months ago, mine made it all the way up to the head editor with mostly favorable comments along the way, but the top guy there ultimately rejected the story--not because he didn't think it was solid, but because he thought the subject matter too bleak. It's not an unreasonable criticism of that particular story, and even though they didn't buy the piece, it was still heartening to see that the story landed well with 3/4 readers.

The Submission Grinder has blacklisted them on the charge that they post rejection letters publicly without clear consent from the author. Also, the have way too much attitude for me. Not the mention the pay . . .

Eh, I don't think $50 per story is all that bad. But if you're in this game to make bank, good luck you ma'am.

Blog Entries
    I sent something to them because they looked funny. Maybe they will destroy my life? Yes, fifty dollars, umm, well I've done it now. Perhaps they have a billion readers, the NEW movement?

I just remembered another positive experience with rejection. I sent a prose poem to a publication and it was rejected. A few month's later that same editor contacted me and asked if she could use my piece after all. Of course I said yes and my prose poem was published in the spring of this year.
    Last edited by Pamelyn Casto; December 1st, 2020 at 04:25 AM.
    Free Download of My Chapbook: Flash Fiction: A Primer
    Hidden Content

List Stories: Lists of the Literary Kind. See my essay at Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamat View Post
    Anybody ever submit to TQR? The readers post public, forum-like comments about the submissions, so you get some pretty good insights as to how your story landed with various readers.
    I'm going to give them a shot. I have a couple stories that might just work for them. I'll let everyone know how it plays out.

-JJB
    ​"Strong convictions precede great actions....."

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    I got quite excited about them. But look at it...take a second look...like I should have done. There's nobody there, the last anthology published 2015 to no review, whatsoever.

I really hope I'm wrong. I hope even they're fledgling/coming back to life. But from my 'clicks' it appears to be two, or three people. It's dispiriting, I wish them luck.

[or have I missed something, a massive active board?]

Quote Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
    I got quite excited about them. But look at it...take a second look...like I should have done. There's nobody there, the last anthology published 2015 to no review, whatsoever.
    I sent a short story to them this morning, and got a response in the late afternoon saying that my story is being read and evaluated.

They are definitely there!

-JJB

This is what I got back from TQR this morning:

When my boys were little, the only TV shows I censored were WWF wrestling and the Saturday morning G.I. Joe cartoons. The former struck me as sadism for the stupid and the latter imperialism for the idiotic. So, needless to say, my thematic biases against this Onslaught cap, even if it had been competently penned and edited rather than chock full of mispunctuated speech tags and incorrect and missing words, would have compelled me to spread it on the Floor, urinate and (if Carol would just turn her head) possibly defecate on it so as to impart to its too many pages enough weight and substance that the trebuchet we keep always at the ready here might sling the soggy mass as deep into the Porthole as possible.
    Needless to say, I will NEVER send them anything else ever again.

-JJB