Writing or reading? Personal or published?


Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: Writing or reading? Personal or published?

  1. #1

    Writing or reading? Personal or published?

    There are those who write for the fun of writing, they are involved with what they write and know that a huge part of it would never be suitable for publication. That's not the point, it is the joy of creation, the catharsis of writing or something immediately concerning writing and creating.

    There are also those who don't see the point of writing unless it is for publication, it is knowing there is a reader at the end of the process. They may even be willing to adjust their writing to make it more likely to be published, to be read. That they have a reader is more important than personal fulfillment, they see no point in writing what might not be read.

    I don't suppose anyone fits perfectly into either group, but we would probably feel more comfortable with one don't you think?
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

    A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

  2. #2
    I'm a goal oriented person. If I did not intend to publish any of my work I very much doubt I'd finish anything.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    There are those who write for the fun of writing, they are involved with what they write and know that a huge part of it would never be suitable for publication. That's not the point, it is the joy of creation, the catharsis of writing or something immediately concerning writing and creating.

    There are also those who don't see the point of writing unless it is for publication, it is knowing there is a reader at the end of the process. They may even be willing to adjust their writing to make it more likely to be published, to be read. That they have a reader is more important than personal fulfillment, they see no point in writing what might not be read.

    I don't suppose anyone fits perfectly into either group, but we would probably feel more comfortable with one don't you think?
    I write for the joy of writing. If I was on a desert island I'd still write...

    ...but since publishing exists, I do see it as a good marker for success, to the point I would (and have) made wholesale changes on the advice or direction of editors, changes I would never have made without that guidance. Basically, unless the requested change is something absolutely intolerable, I would generally want to defer to the person paying me for the work. I see this as no different than accommodating a dietary request or altering a dress.

    In general, I don't regard any personal/publishing conflict as something harmful to creativity but actually a key component of it, something there to enhance the reach and potential of the work. A ship, a building, a spaceship, a functional piece of furniture, might be the brainchild of an individual but actually making it work best is collaborative. I feel like I have read enough material by authors who have avoided help to feel confident that 'creative independence' can be a real trap.

    I feel like once one decides that reader, or publishing, requirements lie in some conflict to creativity, that personal fulfillment is something in opposition to reader enjoyment, it gets really hard to listen and improve. I get fulfillment out of writing-for-the-sake-of-writing, I get even more out of writing-for-the-sake-of-readers.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    There are those who write for the fun of writing, they are involved with what they write and know that a huge part of it would never be suitable for publication. That's not the point, it is the joy of creation, the catharsis of writing or something immediately concerning writing and creating.

    There are also those who don't see the point of writing unless it is for publication, it is knowing there is a reader at the end of the process. They may even be willing to adjust their writing to make it more likely to be published, to be read. That they have a reader is more important than personal fulfillment, they see no point in writing what might not be read.

    I don't suppose anyone fits perfectly into either group, but we would probably feel more comfortable with one don't you think?
    Little of column A, little of column B.

    I was having a particularly craptastic day a week or so ago, and at around 9PM, I actually said out loud to myself (somewhat facetiously), "Let me go get some writing in and give myself a reason to live." So I did, and while it certainly didn't solve any of the world's problems, it made my day a lot better to flex the imagination and the writing muscles. Writing as therapy is certainly a reason to keep at it, even if I never get another publishing credit as long as I live.

    But at the same time, somewhere deep down inside my stupid animal brain, I equate publishing credits with legitimacy. I'll be the first one to tell an aspiring writer that they're a for-realz writer whether they get their name in print or not, and I do genuinely believe that. Just not for myself. Hashtag self-doubt.
    "A word after a word after a word is power."
    -Margaret Atwood

  5. #5
    When I look through the site there are plenty of people who, realistically, are never going to get published, some of them must know it for sure. They still write, and I am sure they find plenty of value in it. I never tried to get published, apart from self publishing a book of bits and pieces for friends. Now I am beginning to think it could be a good idea.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

    A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamat View Post
    Little of column A, little of column B.

    I was having a particularly craptastic day a week or so ago, and at around 9PM, I actually said out loud to myself (somewhat facetiously), "Let me go get some writing in and give myself a reason to live." So I did, and while it certainly didn't solve any of the world's problems, it made my day a lot better to flex the imagination and the writing muscles. Writing as therapy is certainly a reason to keep at it, even if I never get another publishing credit as long as I live.

    But at the same time, somewhere deep down inside my stupid animal brain, I equate publishing credits with legitimacy. I'll be the first one to tell an aspiring writer that they're a for-realz writer whether they get their name in print or not, and I do genuinely believe that. Just not for myself. Hashtag self-doubt.
    I agree a lot. I think it really comes down to how broad the term 'writer' really is. JK Rowling is a writer and so is a five year old scribbling with a pencil. These obviously are two extremes on an absolutely massive spectrum, but neither is more or less a writer.

    While there may be vast differences in terms of publishing potential, there's nothing more valid about the kind of writing Stephen King does than the kind of writing a lunatic does with feces on his wall. They are both the same basic art form.

    The problem is the English language doesn't have a word for writer-who-actually-takes-it-seriously and writer-who-doesn't. This forum, and a lot of its disagreements, are a pretty good testament to the vast chasm that exists between the three types of writer. Broadly speaking these are: Hobbyists, Deluded Dreamers, and everybody else.

    A lot of us have been all of these at some point. All that matters is that we are where we want to be now.

  7. #7
    hummmm... well, I am just a lowly poet, but for me, it was NEVER about being published, when I started writing poetry, I wrote poetry for many years and hid my poems in a box under my bed...

    Writing poetry [for me] is all about the message, my message... I had something to say, and I needed a safe way to express myself...

    It is different with my glassblowing, I want recognition.... I want people to appreciate not only my glass art, but I also want them to appreciate the level of skill I have mastered....

    I think with many creative processes, the joy of creating is what drives us to continue.... to perfect our skill... and we want the recognition of our peers, that validates our prowess, and writing a novel is probably like that also.... most do it for the joy, but it is human nature to want to be recognized for our skill and talent.....
    She lost herself in the trees,
    among the ever-changing leaves.
    She wept beneath the wild sky
    as stars told stories of ancient times.
    The flowers grew toward her light,
    the river called her name at night.
    She could not live an ordinary life,
    with the mysteries of the universe
    hidden in her eyes....
    Author: Christy Ann Martine

    Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

  8. #8
    I've been writing for decades and I did it without any desire to publish at all. Then, stuff happened and I got a contract with a Big 5 publisher and even though I eventually turned that down because I decided traditional publishing wasn't for me, I did decide that I had all of these full-length finished novels laying around doing nothing so I started publishing them. I'm not doing it for the money, although I make a decent amount at it. People seem to want to read what I'm writing and seem happy to hand over money to do it, so why not? If I stopped publishing tomorrow, I'd keep writing. It's never been about the money or the fame or anything like that, heck, I don't want any fame, it's about having fun writing stories that people seem to enjoy.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I've been writing for decades and I did it without any desire to publish at all. Then, stuff happened and I got a contract with a Big 5 publisher and even though I eventually turned that down because I decided traditional publishing wasn't for me, I did decide that I had all of these full-length finished novels laying around doing nothing so I started publishing them. I'm not doing it for the money, although I make a decent amount at it. People seem to want to read what I'm writing and seem happy to hand over money to do it, so why not? If I stopped publishing tomorrow, I'd keep writing. It's never been about the money or the fame or anything like that, heck, I don't want any fame, it's about having fun writing stories that people seem to enjoy.
    Congratulations on your success, it is a fabulous thing to get paid for doing what you love.... the money just validates how good you are at what you do.... it kinda keeps the passion alive...
    She lost herself in the trees,
    among the ever-changing leaves.
    She wept beneath the wild sky
    as stars told stories of ancient times.
    The flowers grew toward her light,
    the river called her name at night.
    She could not live an ordinary life,
    with the mysteries of the universe
    hidden in her eyes....
    Author: Christy Ann Martine

    Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

  10. #10
    I've been writing for decades and I did it without any desire to publish at all. Then, stuff happened and I got a contract with a Big 5 publisher and even though I eventually turned that down because I decided traditional publishing wasn't for me, I did decide that I had all of these full-length finished novels laying around doing nothing so I started publishing them. I'm not doing it for the money, although I make a decent amount at it. People seem to want to read what I'm writing and seem happy to hand over money to do it, so why not? If I stopped publishing tomorrow, I'd keep writing. It's never been about the money or the fame or anything like that, heck, I don't want any fame, it's about having fun writing stories that people seem to enjoy
    So, am I doomed to remain forever curious as to where I can find your stuff?
    Stranded in Babylon

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.