How often do y'all finish the books you pick up?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do y'all finish the books you pick up?

How often do y'all finish the books you pick up?

I only find myself finishing maybe a quarter of the books I start.
    Currently working on: The Huntsmage

"There ain't no such thing as a free lunch." - Robert Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Almost always, but sometimes it takes me ages and I read another three books before I finish it. I am careful what I pick up, in the way of books.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Haven't read any books since covid19 but when I get [into] books I can't put them down. I sometimes think that maybe I should read those books twice to have read them properly.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Me? I'm just a fly on the wall.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

One can but dream, if only i had dared.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I must find a way to Eastbourne and i so wish that i could dance.

Nearly always - if i'm reading a poor book it's a good opportunity to dissect the writing, work out why it doesn't work and think how i would improve it. But i'm likely to avoid reading author again.

Unless it's non-fiction - i only finish about a third of these, but i've learnt i really don't like pop science books.

Quote Originally Posted by epimetheus View Post
    Nearly always - if i'm reading a poor book it's a good opportunity to dissect the writing, work out why it doesn't work and think how i would improve it. But i'm likely to avoid reading author again.

Unless it's non-fiction - i only finish about a third of these, but i've learnt i really don't like pop science books.
    Have you tried Ben Greenacre, 'Bad science' ? Good stuff. I also enjoyed Jay Gould, but you can have too much, like 'Okay, I know where it's going already'.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

I'm not too picky with what books I pick up, but the result is that I only finish maybe half of them. I have no qualms putting down a book if it doesn't hold my interest or if frustrating things happen within that book.

I used to finish every book, no matter what. But now, if it doesn’t grab me in the first chapter or two, I chuck it. Sometimes I chuck it after a few pages. Life is short and there are so many good books. I don’t want to waste time on anything that doesn’t stimulate me.

I give books 50 pages to hook me. I think I'm more generous than most, but it also means I finish most books that I start. In the last year or so, there were only two fiction novels that I didn't finish (out of about 45ish books read or so). And one of those was a re-read that I used to love but that just didn't hold up well. I struggle more with non-fiction. There's probably a good half a dozen of those that I gave up on.

I used to grit my teeth and slog through to the end anyways, but that changed when I read this tome of 800+ pages of which I enjoyed approximately 13 pages and realized there are so many better ways to pass the time than read garbage that doesn't interest me just to have done so.
    "A word after a word after a word is power."
    -Margaret Atwood

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    Have you tried Ben Greenacre, 'Bad science' ? Good stuff. I also enjoyed Jay Gould, but you can have too much, like 'Okay, I know where it's going already'.
    That' a blast from the past - and one i did finish.

Last non-fiction book i finished was Nick Bostrom's book on AGI: Superintelligence.

Last one i put down was also on AGI: The Master Algorithm - logistic curve is the most important function known to man my arse.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamat View Post
    I give books 50 pages to hook me. I think I'm more generous than most, but it also means I finish most books that I start. In the last year or so, there were only two fiction novels that I didn't finish (out of about 45ish books read or so). And one of those was a re-read that I used to love but that just didn't hold up well. I struggle more with non-fiction. There's probably a good half a dozen of those that I gave up on.

I used to grit my teeth and slog through to the end anyways, but that changed when I read this tome of 800+ pages of which I enjoyed approximately 13 pages and realized there are so many better ways to pass the time than read garbage that doesn't interest me just to have done so.

I wouldn't disagree with that but most page-turners, I've found, have me hooked from the first two pages. Sometimes, from the first couple of sentences.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Me? I'm just a fly on the wall.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

One can but dream, if only i had dared.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I must find a way to Eastbourne and i so wish that i could dance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast