Your writing habits to get writing done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your writing habits to get writing done.

Your writing habits to get writing done.

Been collecting news articles from People Magazine since today (to use as a backstory). Also, using what if questions on the articles in question. Also listed the perceived strengths and weakness of my family. I read Joseph Conrad's biography yesterday but I doubt it will benefit me since there are some mindless killings of animals, and I am trying to write optimistic fiction. I also looked for some free science journals. Need to keep searching for more research. A lot of the technology isn't widely discussed. So tomorrow I will go to reading some more news off technology. A new technique I am trying is mind mapping ideas. I saw an example of how to free associate to create conflict this way. Even though I said I read his autobiography I enjoyed Conrad's style and may try to imitate it. However, the mind mapping I am not entirely familiar with it. I am looking for approaches on it. Since I want to think of what may help trigger the subconscious. It also goes by the name clustering.

So post your habits here that you do every day before writing. Such as finding a quiet place to read and write and so forth. Or anything you do during the writing process. I kind of was inspired by the thread on how to start a story.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

It sounds like your all over the place regarding writing technique - what's worked for you in the past.

One thing I always do after every project is a post-op - what worked, what could be improved, and what didn't contribute at all? Push the first, enhance the second, and drop the third.

Stories hit me in different ways - sometimes characters shows up first, other times it's the plot. I live with it for awhile and let it congeal - in this phrase I may scribble a bit in a notebook, but not much beyond that - I usually think a lot about it before I go to sleep. Then when the characters and structure are coming together I create files for plot points first, then characters.

Regarding research, I'm always doing it, but as the ideas take shape and start linking I do more - looking at technology or psychology or history, whatever I need for the story.

As to my writing routine, I write almost every day for five to eight hours. That time may not always be super productive, but I stick with it and eventually everything comes together.

Well. I need to find the potential idea for the story by triggering my subconscious to write something I like. I may read some poetry as well. Sometimes it triggers ideas in the imagination. In the past a writing prompt helped me get started on a story. I may try a prompt again. The most promising idea imo that I wrote I got from a prompt. The second promising story came from a poem. People magazine runs a lot of human interest stories for free. I may write the Mc's flaw and the protagonist by improvisation. Also, the articles aren't bad for inspiration. For example the karate kid was inspired by a human interest story in the newspaper. Since nothing happens that I can journal it seems like a decent way to plot. I've been trying to do a little of everything. I may even research history. There is this website that says what happens on each day in history. There are even newpaper databases. Imo as a writer I am using some of the standard techniques. I may research further. I am hoping my last short story I workshopped here will get published somewhere. Short stories even when we'll received don't find homes. Also if you have some better suggestions I am willing to listen. I may not write fast unless I have a situation for a story. I do have one, and more than one idea. I am still researching the technology I will use. So now you should have a better idea of what has worked for me. However, what I mentioned is how to generate some ideas I got from many years of reading advice on craft. Some of this advice I have known about and read and applied more than once. I have another story idea without a situation though.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

If only. The trouble with being retired is that you obviously have lots of spare time on your hands, and people are so eager to help you fill it. Being at high risk in isolation has been a real blessing. I have cleared the odd gutter and such around the house, but no forcing myself to be jolly, or not too bad tempered, round a supermarket. No visiting anyone or going anywhere. I managed to finish The Nelson Garvey Home for the Elderly, after six or seven years. I have edited a bunch of shorts that have sat in a back folder doing nothing for years with a view to entering some competitions.

While the library where she normally works is shut the missus has been working phoning vulnerable people. For a lot of them now the Government is saying 'Go out, go back to work' and she says a lot of them are really scared to go out. She has the impression that's me as well, but actually it's just that I enjoy being home
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by indianroads View Post
    I write almost every day for five to eight hours.
    Oh man. That's some sweet writing time.

With a toddler and a 5-year-old home full time, I aim for five to eight minutes a day. Lol.

I write in the morning soon after I wake. The night before I think of where I am in my story right before I go to sleep. The hope is my subconscious will come up with an idea of what happens next and pass it along to my conscious mind when I wake.
    K.S. Crooks- Dreamer and Author

Writing as early as possible always helps. Writing tired is never a good idea - you're slow and the ideas suck.
    Currently writing: The Huntsmage

"There ain't no such thing as a free lunch." - Robert Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle R View Post
    Oh man. That's some sweet writing time.

With a toddler and a 5-year-old home full time, I aim for five to eight minutes a day. Lol.
    BTDT and survived, barely.

Right now I'm operating on a minimum of 400 words a day. That usually leads to between two and five hours a day.

I allow myself the mornings to let my brain go wherever it wants. Read about Covid, do a crossword puzzle, check social media accounts, read another author that I am inspired by, post on writingforums.com, etc. Then, sometimes I start by thinking about the marketing of the book. That usually gets me motivated.

If I haven't started writing by 3:00pm, then I force myself. 'Just write one sentence minimum', I tell myself. So far that has worked to get me writing.

But one thing that has been crucial to getting the writing done, is allowing the off days as well. So it's not just two scenarios, "writing" or "not writing and feeling guilty". I also make sure there is some "not writing and not supposed to be writing" time. That way it is not so daunting.
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

I'm just getting back into writing, so I'm trying to take it slow and not set the bar too high and burn myself out. My only goal is write every day (and I include "edit stuff" in "write" in this context). Some days, it's just a paragraph or two. Other days, it's 1500 words or more. In about two weeks, I start classes again, so I'll have to squeeze it in between 45ish hours a week of work, plus the three classes I'm taking this semester so we'll see how that one goes.
    "A word after a word after a word is power."
    -Margaret Atwood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast