Could use some help spicing up this plot point


Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Could use some help spicing up this plot point

  1. #1

    Could use some help spicing up this plot point

    Hey folks, so far I've managed to hash out two thirds or so of my outline. There's just one major plot to go and I can pad the rest out with side plots.

    So late in Act 1, the protagonists steal a massive cache of data from ExoGen, the corporate bad guys. After running a sorting program, the hacker Fritz (deutoragonist) discovers that the illegal black projects that created Dzesika (protagonist) have been moved, and that a financial officer in the company is arranging payments to keep it running. They want to get their hands on the bank payments in order to search for more leads, see if they can't trace them to wherever the new facility is.

    To do this, Fritz needs to get his hands on whatever device the finance guy is using to make the payments. He has no idea where or what it is and, just being a scrawny nerd, needs Dzesika to do the physical stuff.

    Right now, that's all I got, and I'm blanking on how to make this more interesting. I need red herrings, dangerous situations, something more than just peeking into this dude's window and finding his phone. Any help is appreciated!
    Current Project: The Huntsmage ​Book 1

  2. #2
    They want his phone, right?

    So first they find what sort of phone it is and get a matching one.

    Then they set up a situation, best if you could tailor it to the participants. The aim is to get the mark to put it down long enough to be swapped, eg, he always keeps it in his jacket pocket, and they set up something he has to take his jacket off for. You get time for a good look at it that way, if the phone you replace it with has been sabotaged he might even think his phone has died and you get to keep it.

    I have a situation in my novel where this is done. His phone is then used to call an incriminating number before someone says 'I have the wrong phone' and starts reading numbers out. They swap back, but the person he swaps with has a different make registered to him, so he can deny any such thing happen. Later he puts his jacket down while he goes for a last pee, they nick his phone and take it to an incriminating meeting before putting it down the back of the chair the jacket was left on.
    There is also a point where someone phones an incriminating number, but rings off immediately and then has a 'conversation' in earshot of the mark before leaving his phone where the mark has an opportunity to write down the last number called.

    Not exactly what you are asking I know, but hopefully it will give you ideas.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

    A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    snip
    That's actually pretty helpful, man.

    So ExoGen is a really shady company. Like, Weyland-Yutani and Umbrella having a merger bad. So I expect they do a lot of business with organized crime. Would allow me to flex the punk in cyberpunk. Maybe they have to get the info from a crime boss the guy deals with.

    Anyways, I'm assuming they put in a fake phone so it isn't reported to the cops as stolen? And the battery has been tampered with so he thinks it's fried?
    Current Project: The Huntsmage ​Book 1

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    So late in Act 1, the protagonists steal a massive cache of data from ExoGen, the corporate bad guys. After running a sorting program, the hacker Fritz (deutoragonist) discovers that the illegal black projects that created Dzesika (protagonist) have been moved, and that a financial officer in the company is arranging payments to keep it running. They want to get their hands on the bank payments in order to search for more leads, see if they can't trace them to wherever the new facility is.
    How did they find these payments? What did they see in the data? Is it from the central accounting software? The bank statements? They could see the credits going out of the bank account, but not the payee? That would be unlikely. And if they can't see it from the data, how would the device help? From the cache of the data transmitted from the device? Can that be hacked? If they were trying to hide it, it would likely be payed to a holding company.

    Perhaps they find out the payee is a holding company and the officer of the holding company is the same guy. They search public records to find the incorporation of the company. They go to the holding company address listed on a company search. It's the same guys home. Or a reputable business. There are all kind of directions you could go from here...
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    How did they find these payments? What did they see in the data? Is it from the central accounting software? The bank statements? They could see the credits going out of the bank account, but not the payee? That would be unlikely. And if they can't see it from the data, how would the device help? From the cache of the data transmitted from the device? Can that be hacked? If they were trying to hide it, it would likely be payed to a holding company.

    Perhaps they find out the payee is a holding company and the officer of the holding company is the same guy. They search public records to find the incorporation of the company. They go to the holding company address listed on a company search. It's the same guys home. Or a reputable business. There are all kind of directions you could go from here...
    I appreciate the post, but I've got it all sorted. Probably should have made a post about that. Sorry!
    Current Project: The Huntsmage ​Book 1

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I appreciate the post, but I've got it all sorted. Probably should have made a post about that. Sorry!
    No worries, glad to hear you solved it! I enjoyed getting into it...it's my old world of auditing....
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.