Cyberpunk and fantasy writer


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Cyberpunk and fantasy writer

  1. #1
    Member TripleFade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    26

    Cyberpunk and fantasy writer

    Hi,

    Currently using some downtime to try to get a novel published and none of my friends write, so nobody really can commiserate when the going gets tough in the creative process.

    I’m good at crafting rich storylines, decent characterization and complex themes. That said, I’m not so good at creating tension between characters, maintaining the atmosphere I build at the beginning of my works, and I’m not great finishing them!

    My writing heroes are Cormac McCarthy, Albert Camus, and Osamu Dazai. (Yes, my works tend to lean existential and a touch depressing). 😓

    I look forward to getting to know ya’ll. ☺️

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleFade View Post
    (Yes, my works tend to lean existential and a touch depressing). 
    Well suited to cyberpunk then. Does your novel do anything new with the genre?

  3. #3
    Member TripleFade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    26
    Actually, yes. I have a few works in motion.

    1. Set in the Deep South, a young girl cares for her dying uncle. It basically covers how people mentally cope with technology.

    *- My degrees are in psychology and IT, so it’s a pet project of mine to keep on top of technology-based, social trends. Part of my inspiration was from a rather intriguing book called ‘Alone Together’, which included androids caring for the elderly and their bonding with the robot who takes care of them (better than their own families).

    2. A bio-hacker discovers her potential and limitations as she trips out on psychotropic drugs.

    3. A brother and sister try to survive a broken world, having to ask themselves over and over again what makes a human being as they are required to sacrifice more and more of themselves by necessity...

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleFade View Post
    It basically covers how people mentally cope with technology.

    *- My degrees are in psychology and IT, so it’s a pet project of mine to keep on top of technology-based, social trends. Part of my inspiration was from a rather intriguing book called ‘Alone Together’, which included androids caring for the elderly and their bonding with the robot who takes care of them (better than their own families).

    2. A bio-hacker discovers her potential and limitations as she trips out on psychotropic drugs.
    Similar themes I want to work on. Look forward to seeing your work - would be happy to beta read in the future. Is Lonely Together fiction?

  5. #5
    We'll be friends, then. I'm blending cyberpunk and fantasy into the same story. It's going pretty well, I'd say.

    Can't wait to see what you've got!
    Currently working on: The Huntsmage

    "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch." - Robert Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

  6. #6
    Member TripleFade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    We'll be friends, then. I'm blending cyberpunk and fantasy into the same story. It's going pretty well, I'd say.

    Can't wait to see what you've got!
    You ever read/play ShadowRun? It’s cyberpunk with Fantasy races.

  7. #7
    Member TripleFade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by epimetheus View Post
    Similar themes I want to work on. Look forward to seeing your work - would be happy to beta read in the future. Is Lonely Together fiction?
    Alone Together is more like a projected future along the lines of Alvin Toffler’s ‘Future Shock’. It’s essentially an educated guess on what we can expect from the future.

    I’d post a link, but I have to have a few more posts in before the site will let me do that.

  8. #8
    Member TripleFade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleFade View Post
    You ever read/play ShadowRun? It’s cyberpunk with Fantasy races.
    Add: not saying ‘oh, it’s been done before’ more ‘I was curious what type of fantasy and I can say ShadowRun was fun as hell as an RPG’.
    Last edited by TripleFade; July 28th, 2020 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Autocorrect ‘fixed’ it.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleFade View Post
    *- My degrees are in psychology and IT, so it’s a pet project of mine to keep on top of technology-based, social trends. Part of my inspiration was from a rather intriguing book called ‘Alone Together’, which included androids caring for the elderly and their bonding with the robot who takes care of them (better than their own families).
    I always enjoyed reading works that weave in the writer's unique expertise and the perspectives that come with it! I never really managed to do the same myself - whenever I tried it just came out trite.

    Looking forward to seeing how your project develops!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleFade View Post
    Add: not saying ‘oh, it’s been done before’ more ‘I was curious what type of fantasy and I can say ShadowRun was fun as hell as an RPG’.
    Quite different from Shadowrun. It's not set on Earth, and there aren't any sapients except humans.
    Currently working on: The Huntsmage

    "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch." - Robert Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.