Less or Fewer? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Less or Fewer?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    It could be ambiguous if the usage of 'less' as in quality conflicts with 'less' as in quantity.

"There were less good restaurants on the way to the city"

Less good restaurants...as in there were lots of restaurants that were less good? Or a smaller quantity of good restaurants?
    That seems intentionally ambiguous. The way to write that is, “There weren’t as many good restaurants on the way...”

I'm pleased to know that I'm not the only one shouting grammar corrections at my television and radio.

Quote Originally Posted by TL Murphy View Post
    That seems intentionally ambiguous. The way to write that is, “There weren’t as many good restaurants on the way...”
    No, surely 'there were less good restaurants on the way' means there were plenty of them, but they were not as good. What you are saying is that there were fewer good restaurants. Conclusion, yes ppsage, it is possible to misconstrue.

Fewer applies to quantity of restaurants, but 'less good' is applied to their quality.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by TL Murphy View Post
    I actually copy-pasted it from Yelp, so I don't think it is intentionally ambiguous. People do write this way, unfortunately.

Your usage of the term "fewer" was correct.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12