Mars in 18th Century

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mars in 18th Century

Mars in 18th Century

Hi folks first off I would like to thank for the help so far on this forum, and sorry for my long replies to the postings now onto what research I need.

18th Century Mars

I need to know what Mars looks like in the 18th Century, it's not until the 19th Century Martians appear in fiction. I need to create Two Races of Mars for the 18th Century and both Races Culture.

The First is based on Wellsian Martians, Second Race is elvish in nature like in Space 1889 but there culture isn't based on Egyptian.

Also in the 19th Century the Martian Canal theory was created,

LW

I don't imagine it would have looked significantly different than it does today.

Quote Originally Posted by lwhitehead View Post
    Hi folks first off I would like to thank for the help so far on this forum, and sorry for my long replies to the postings now onto what research I need.

18th Century Mars

I need to know what Mars looks like in the 18th Century, it's not until the 19th Century Martians appear in fiction. I need to create Two Races of Mars for the 18th Century and both Races Culture.

The First is based on Wellsian Martians, Second Race is elvish in nature like in Space 1889 but there culture isn't based on Egyptian.

Also in the 19th Century the Martian Canal theory was created,

LW
    But the planets have been recorded and written/spoken about for thousands of years and in some detail. Long before we had modern technology and telescopes. Kind of strange that isn't it? How did they know?

When you say 'Space 1889'......Do you mean the tv series Space 1999?

The 18th century is the 1700's so I'm not sure how Space 1889 makes sense as that would be the nineteenth century. So is this the 1700's or the 1800's?

Regardless, it's sort of moot because the planet itself would likely not have been significantly different. 200/300 years is barely a blink on a planet's timeline, unless there is some kind of catastrophic event. Even Earth wasn't hugely different 300 years ago (the plates were much the same, the physical environment was much the same, biology was much the same) and to the extent that major differences do exist since then it is only because of human activity. Since you have fictional 'races' which are known not to exist on Mars, you can imagine what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    The 18th century is the 1700's so I'm not sure how Space 1889 makes sense as that would be the nineteenth century. So is this the 1700's or the 1800's?

Regardless, it's sort of moot because the planet itself would likely not have been significantly different. 200/300 years is barely a blink on a planet's timeline, unless there is some kind of catastrophic event. Even Earth wasn't hugely different 300 years ago (the plates were much the same, the physical environment was much the same, biology was much the same) and to the extent that major differences do exist since then it is only because of human activity. Since you have fictional 'races' which are known not to exist on Mars, you can imagine what you want.
    I think I know what you mean but biology.....back in those days there would have been very little built up areas and no pollution to speak of.

On Mars.....Perhaps its been the same for millions of years or maybe there was a thriving life on it in between what the ancient Greeks etc knew and when we first had telescopes in the past few hundred years. I mean in 1235 or something it could have been covered in tropic rain forest? How would we have known back then?

Space 1889 confuses me as well.

If you mean what Mars looked like to humans, then to me the way to look at it would be to see what was going on on earth at that time. There was lots of social reform and in Britain it was the Georgian period. Asylums had been created recently so that's something you could look at. The notion of asylum inmates pointing at Mars and making claims about there being people up there is pretty compelling, to me. Malthusianism was a new concept, so again, something to explore there.

If you mean from the Martians' point of view, then much depends on their evolutionary timeline. They might be millennia ahead of us or millennia behind. It's your call really. Depends what you feel like doing.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Quote Originally Posted by Biro View Post
    On Mars.....Perhaps its been the same for millions of years or maybe there was a thriving life on it in between what the ancient Greeks etc knew and when we first had telescopes in the past few hundred years.
    No, there wasn't. We would have found traces of it by now if there had been life on Mars that recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Xander416 View Post
    No, there wasn't. We would have found traces of it by now if there had been life on Mars that recently.
    Not really there could have been a number of things which could have wiped all life devastatingly from the planet. A huge collision causing a burning inferno etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Biro View Post
    Not really there could have been a number of things which could have wiped all life devastatingly from the planet. A huge collision causing a burning inferno etc.
    We have skeletons from 65+ million years ago that survived a huge collision which caused burning infernos all over the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Xander416 View Post
    We have skeletons from 65+ million years ago that survived a huge collision which caused burning infernos all over the planet.
    You mean fossils?

Have we been digging for such on Mars yet?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast