Sunshine after the rain...

Thread: Sunshine after the rain...

Blog Entries

Sunshine after the rain...

Seated in an armchair, gazing through our small kitchen, out of the backdoor, up the garden path that goes under an archway and up to the top where dappled light plays on a boundary fence that I can actually see now, as boughs of the Sycamore sway in the breeze, there's something about "sunshine after a heavy downpour" rendering all that meets the eye bright shiny and and new. The freshness is quite invigorating ( I made that bit up lol ).

As I sat, pondering nothing in particular, the slow heavy-sounding wing-beats of a Wood Pigeon sent ripples through the stormy electrically charged atmosphere distracting me from my reverie and although it sounded, well, close enough to have reached out and touched it, I couldn't see it, and so I quietly crept, out of my chair, across the kitchen floor, and as slowly as I was able, took a peek out of the back-door and what a sight, they're not called the bullies of the bird-table for nothing. There's a bird-bath in front of the archway, a metre tall perhaps, the bowl of the bath not much larger in diameter than that of a decent sized dinner plate, supported by three faux white marble naked ladies back to back with arms stretched upward, three or four centimetres deep I suppose, full of water I might add, and bang in the middle of it, with wings pushed out from the sides of it's body as far as the edges of the bath would allow, feathers ruffled, totally at ease and looking like a drowned rat was our heavy-winged interloper, sprawled out like bird-royalty, Mr.Wood-pigeon. Might have been a Mrs. Wood-pigeon I suppose, just coming off a shift at the nest-site and taking advantage of the wash and brush up facilities, whatever, that was one happy bird, and why not?

Bindweed, we have Bindweed, not difficult to cultivate and seems to thrive just about anywhere. I don't mind Bindweed, it can, and usually does, become quite a tangled mass by the end of summer of course, doesn't seem to trouble the other two though and big white flowers to boot. The archway is draped with Honeysuckle, more like Honeysickle right now, on one side with clematis on the other. All that's left of the Honeysuckle is a smattering of faded flower-heads with their tired shriveled up stamens, while on the other side, the white trumpets of the Bindweed mingle with velvety claret-coloured Clematis flowers the size of saucers.

Still no sign of my new friend Cock Robin.

As for the deforestation project, it's still ​ a work in progress but I'm getting there I think.

Was just about to go and top up the birdbath but there's a female Blackbird doing her ablutions right now. It's looking quite busy up there. I'm surprised there's any water left after the Wood-Pigeon.

Life eh?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On closer inspection, I'm not so sure about that " honeysickle". All over the archway, among those Clematis flowers are honeysuckle now, they look like tired worn out flower-heads with shriveled up stamens, and I think there is some honeysuckle in there somewhere, but they seem to be connected to the same stems as the Clematis flowers. At a distance they're not very big and an orange/yellow colour. Flowers gone over ? Or flowers yet to come ? Blowed if I know. I had intended the main post as an attempt at writing, I'm embarrassed to say, that's it I'm afraid, it's there to be shot at, so I'll leave it alone. Warts and all.

Last edited by dither; July 5th, 2020 at 09:24 AM.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Me? I'm just a fly on the wall.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

One can but dream, if only i had dared.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I must find a way to Eastbourne and i so wish that i could dance.