Amazed..

Thread: Amazed..

Blog Entries

Amazed..

In recent times I've developed what can only be described as a phobia, maybe it has a name, maybe not. I have an absolute fear, it fills me with terror, the very thought, of giving out my card-details, online or over the phone. Such is the state of society, as we know it, riddled with fraudsters, very clever fraudster I might add. Why couldn't they get a proper job? Whatever.

Whenever the need arises I usually find a vendor online who is willing to accept an order, by post, with cheque to cover costs p&p etc. and so it goes. Job done, eventually, business is business, a sale is a sale, right?

Well? Anyway, I recently wrote to a company saying " no internet, no plastic, " and if they would please send me required details I'd be happy to follow through as it were. I wanted to buy a couple of reusable face-masks.

Weeks past, and then out of the blue, a small package came through my letter-box. I wasn't expecting any deliveries, had ordered nothing, and so , cautiously, I opened the package and, to my surprise, found two of the face-masks that I'd inquired about some time ago. No invoice listing costs, no name and address of sender, nothing, just the name and address of some warehouse in Scotland on the back of the brown paper packet. Long story short, they'd been sent by the online vendor who I'd written to.

Now, my computer is not a happy chappy right now and my e-mail is a bit in and out. I managed to message them through their online inquiry option, with a message that went something along the lines of " you sent me two face-masks, I need to pay for them, will you please send an invoice or text informing me of costs, who to make the cheque out to, and I'll settle up with you."

They replied with "we have sent you two face-masks free of charge." Can you believe that? I couldn't. I want to scream their mane from the rooftops, I know someone with a facebook account who'd be only too willing to sing their praises, but if I did we all know what would happen, so all I can do is reply with a sincere "thank you" when I am able.

Life eh?

You just never know.

dither...
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Me? I'm just a fly on the wall.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

One can but dream, if only i had dared.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I must find a way to Eastbourne and i so wish that i could dance.

Dither, that does it for me. Every now and then, just when we are thinking the world is as jaded as it can get, comes along someone who doesn't care about recognition, but does care about people. He or she saw, in your inquiry, a need and your lack of modern payment techniques spoke to him or her in a way that surprised you. Pay it forward, Dither. Thanks for sharing here; it means a lot to me to hear of the kindness of strangers.
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.

That sounds like a wonderful gesture of kindness! There are a lot of good people in the world, they are just drowned out by the loud diatribe of others.
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    That sounds like a wonderful gesture of kindness! There are a lot of good people in the world, they are just drowned out by the loud diatribe of others.

Not sure about a [lot] of good people, it was a wonderful gesture though and totally unexpected here, but yes, it IS a shame that they are drowned out by the others.
    Last edited by dither; June 25th, 2020 at 05:52 PM.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

The challenge now is to balance the karma (or whatever you care to call it) with caring action on your own part.

Re the card thing, I have a current account with a bank and a savings account with a building society. I keep just enough money in my current account to pay for my card purchases, the rest goes into the building society and earns interest. With a debit card rather than a credit card the bank won't pay out what is not in there, and what's in there is an affordable loss if I ever do have one.
    A new story

I finally got 'A Family Business' recorded and loaded, all 37 mins of it, much longer than any I have done before.
    Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    deleted post.

Mr.Buckle is right of course.
    Last edited by dither; June 28th, 2020 at 10:49 AM.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

Alas, i am weak.