Got a new friend...

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Got a new friend...

Blog Entries

Got a new friend...

I have quite a long back-garden, there's a metal-framed archway two thirds of the way up, the top one third has been, to say the least, neglected. To the point where if I went beyond the archway I had to cut a pathway as I walked. It was that bad. Well, anyway, because of this covid gig...........

Lol! The woman next door to us, her whole garden was as bad our top one third, she had to battle over-grown brambles and nettles to put her rubbish out, BECAUSE of the covid situation, went totally berserk out back, cleaned the place up, told me it was the first time she'd seen the boundary fence in almost twenty years, spent god knows how much on garden furniture, has friends round now, drinks under the gazebo, a small wood-burner glows, and it has transformed her life. Good for her eh?

Anyway, my new friend:
    I may have mentioned that as I've beavered away up there I've had vaguest feeling of not being alone. The occasional hum of a wing-beat, for no more than a second and then, sometimes I'd glimpse movement out the corner of my eye, not really sure whether or not I'd really seen anything or not, but, with time, he got bolder, is probably feeding chicks somewhere close by, and now, whenever I'm up there he appears.

Once upon a lifetime plastic sheeting was put down, a layer of small gravel on top, and WE had a table and a few chairs up there, reduced to a mess of rotted wood now but because of that it's been fairly easy to clear. This morning at around seven o'clock, before the sun was anywhere near that part of the garden, I was up there, gently raking twigs leaves and all manner of organic litter, progress is being made, and that little Robin was non-stop.
    With the small bugs, some maybe not so small, and all manner of larvae that I probably uncovered, talk about " the mother load ". He was there and then he wasn't, then no sooner had he gone he'd be back, time and time again.

Hopefully, he's resting up somewhere now, watching over a clutch of fat bellied chicks.

Happy daze.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Me? I'm just a fly on the wall.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

One can but dream, if only i had dared.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I must find a way to Eastbourne and i so wish that i could dance.

I have one of them, as you say, a flutter of wings, and then quite often a burst of song. He will sit somewhere convenient, about eight feet away with a view of what I'm doing, and then dart down within inches of me sometimes to pick something up. Careful for that nest, they like a flatish sort of place to put it, I have found one on the top of the brickwork behind a door post, and also inside a very large flowerpot. It was stood upside down and they were coming and going through the hole. If you have a fishing shop near you they love fresh mealworms, if your missus will let you put them in the fridge they will stay mealworms. It is perfectly hygienic in a plastic box, but for some reason ... Anyway, I have never tried it, but I am told they will learn to eat out of your hand within three or four days they like them so much, and once they have learned to trust you they don't forget.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Mr.Buckle,
    we have a small fishing-tackle shop in our town, whether or not they sell these " meal-worms ", and I don't think I'd have the self-confidence to ask anyway, would be another matter. Also, we have quite a few cats around here, although I'd love to give this guy and his family a hand, I'd to hate be responsible for their demise.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I was talking about fat-bellied chicks in the restaurant the other day, and the rather large ladies at the adjacent table got all upset.
    Sometimes, I wrestle with my demons. Other times, we just snuggle.

Mealworms is a nice name for maggots, let them pupate and then hatch out and they turn into flies. Anglers use them for bait, the shop is almost sure to have them. To robins they are strawberries and cream with sugar on top. Put a few in a lid from a jar and stand not too far off, get a bit closer each time, then pick up the lid, then get rid of it and have them in your hand. I'm told it can be done in three or four days. Being tame to you won't make him tame to cats, they are not that thick.
    Mind you, I have never bothered trying myself, they seem tame enough anyway for me, or fearless maybe. Someone did a study of ways robins died. One drowned after diving into a stream to attack a minnow! They will also mimic, people have taught them to talk. Then there was the guy who was sent overseas for eighteen months, when he came back he went out in the garden and the robin he tamed before he went came and sat on his shoulder, it remembered him.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Maggots? I did some fishing back in the day. You're saying I just go in and ask for maggots? But, again, "back in the day", a person took a bait-box and had it filled but that was yesteryear. And no, she who shall be obeyed would not have them in the fridge. I sure would like to give that a try.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

Alas, i am weak.

Blog Entries
    I just spent half an hour online, seems like, trying to find a way to purchase some mealworms. What's the problem? You might wonder. The problem is me of course. I worry about buying stuff online, or by phone. Basically, I don't like giving out my card-details. What DON'T I worry about? Well? Anyway, I managed to find a company that, besides advertising their wares, gave an actual postal address.

And so, I've written a letter, enclosed a cheque and, if said company finds that acceptable, hope to be giving my new friend a treat in the not too distant future.

By the way Mr.Buckle, according to the bumph set out in the details, these mealworms are the larvae of some beetle, beetle maggots? Whatever.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

Alas, i am weak.

A cheque, spell-check doesn't even recognize that, you really are a twentieth century man aren't you

I would have a bit of ice ready for when they arrive. Keeping them cold will slow down their development and you don't want a bunch of beetles, better than blow flies though

Do let us know how it goes, It will be really interesting to find out.
    Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Mr.Buckle,

what's so "twentieth century" about the English way of spelling? Is it really so out of date?

I've sent for a pack of dried mealworms and yes, if they turn up, I shall no doubt share my experience with them.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

Alas, i am weak.

If they are the dried ones it might be worth giving them a bit of a soak first.

A cheque is twentieth century, I didn't think the banks even issued cheque books anymore, on the odd occasion I needed one I have gone into my local branch and they printed one out, I think it was something like University course fees, or maybe a deposit for accommodation.
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast