Do you think I should leave political commentary out of this story?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Do you think I should leave political commentary out of this story?

Do you think I should leave political commentary out of this story?

I'm writing a screenplay which is about a detective, trying to bring down a group of mysterious people who are kidnapping and raping people, as a form of revenge for constantly being rejected by society, and for how society has treated them.

I wrote it so a good chunk of it is told from the media's point of view, from newcasters explaining the case, to talk show hosts debating the issue, as to how society is going to be affected by these crimes, and how it's influencing other behaviors in men who are constantly rejected all the time, who also feel vengeful about it.

I am wondering, looking at the script with fresh eyes, if I should perhaps cut out all the social/political commentary aspects of it, and just have it be a straight up thriller, and the readers can make up their own minds about the politics.

Or should I have a political media point of view it, kind of like how a movie like Natural Born Killers had that sort of point of view for a good portion of it, for example?

What do you think would be the best approach for this type of premise subject matter?

For you, personally, I would say leave out the commentary and just focus on the story.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Politics are polarizing. You'll wind up alienating half your audience. Who doesn't enjoy a straight up thriller?

There's probably some reason I should keep my new guy opinions to myself, but there it is!
    Last edited by Tryon; June 1st, 2020 at 01:10 PM.

New guy above pretty much mirrors what I think. Try to avoid any political commentary unless it's absolutely integral to the plot.

I agree with the previous reviewers. Your story doesn't seem to unfold at the level of higher government, eg., the President or J. Edgar Hoover - I don't think it's a political thriller. It's about a detective who wants to bring bad guys to justice. Keep the scope narrow and get up close and let us feel what the character is feeling. Detectives don't usually care much about politics, do they?

Oh okay. Some stories tend to embrace it though so is there a reason to avoid it when some others seem to embrace it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryon View Post
    Politics are polarizing. You'll wind up alienating half your audience. Who doesn't enjoy a straight up thriller?

Exactly.
    There's probably some reason I should keep my new guy opinions to myself, but there it is!
    Nope! You might be new here but you're not new to the world and your opinions are just as good as anyone else's.

Oh okay, I never thought of politics as alienating in fiction. Like for example, one of the reasons people like the original Robocop movie was because of the political commentary, and I don't think it would have been as popular without it.
    Last edited by ironpony; June 1st, 2020 at 07:40 PM.

Write both. Then have the version with the political stuff be the director's cut.

If your story is weak, telling it from a political point of view can strengthen it for those who ascribe to that viewpoint. So you can go from nobody really liking it to just a certain group of people liking it.

It seems like a lot of books and movies use that strategy these days: using minority related topics to attract an audience for otherwise mediocre material.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast