When Certain Companies Promise Drastic Results

Thread: When Certain Companies Promise Drastic Results

When Certain Companies Promise Drastic Results

Several times, I have come across marketing services that can make books sell "a lot better" than before. I've tried a few of them, but with the last one I've signed up for, I want to close my account for that site. They charge a lot of money for a service where they claim they can help your book sell a lot more copies. They even provide "shortcuts" and testimonials to get you to use their services.
    Although I don't think they're always scams, should I distrust any service that promises drastic results for book sales? I do research before hand, as well. But maybe I should avoid those services from now on and focus on other forms of marketing that are more legitimate. One thing I realized is that maybe I haven't been targeting the right audience the whole time. The promotion services I've used are more general, although many do have children's or fantasy genres as options.
    Has anyone ever tried marketing services that guarantee drastic results? if so, was it a good or bad experience?
    Children's Fantasy Author
    Hidden Content

Purchase my book at Hidden Content

As is said, if it's too good to be true, it probably is. I've been temped by the advertisements by companies that promise better book sales.

Marketing is a blind spot for me - probably largely due to my lack of interest and (stupid) believe that a good product sells itself. The truth is that a good product is absolutely necessary, but it won't do any good if no one sees it or knows about it.

I have a Facebook author site (~300 followers), and a website, and I advertise on Amazon. The last seems has given me the best results so far, but Amazon's algorithms are nightmarish and tricky, so I'm probably not doing a good job there. Beyond that, I don't 'Twit' or 'Insta-grump' because I'm old and don't understand them. I've been thinking about advertising on BookBub... but haven't pulled the trigger. I'd rather spend my time writing.

I moved down to the first post and saw just what was going through my head, 'If it seems to good to be true it probably is.'
    A new story

I finally got 'A Family Business' recorded and loaded, all 37 mins of it, much longer than any I have done before.
    Hidden Content

The overwhelming majority of the time, they are lying. They're just out for your money and they'll do nothing for you at all. There are some legitimate marketing companies out there, but the are not going to promise you amazing sales. This falls into the same category as vanity press. If they're asking for money and making absurd promises, run.

Those type of outfits always make money for themselves.
    Never pet a burning dog.

A few years ago I was told that most of the books that really make money on Amazon are about how to make money on Amazon.