Attraction

Thread: Attraction

Attraction

I’ve mentioned elsewhere that I’m writing a section in my WIP with a FMC POV. The topic of Women’s Wear helped me a lot, but I have another question.

FMC is about to meet her love interest – he will be getting off a vehicle when she sees him. He’s in his mid-20’s, shaggy brown hair, facial stubble, and likes to dress in flannel shirts, faded jeans, and boots. What will catch her eye? She’s not a shy woman at all, but what would compel her to talk with him?

From my POV as a male, what strikes me when I first see a woman is that she looks interesting and intelligent. Quirky clothing, something real – not a purchased fashion statement that rubber stamps her as seemingly interesting, but something genuine. Taking in her surroundings appraisingly, eye contact, a wry smile, something that indicates a unique perspective.

In terms of appearance, I believe health is key. Negative traits are heavy makeup, uncomfortable clothes, and heaven forbid – obvious body modifications (boob jobs).

So now my question for women:
    What traits catch your eye?

I'm not criticizing you, IR, but I'm am SO sick and tired of movies where the male love interest has a three day stubble. Where did that come from? It scratches when he kisses, and we won't even mention other potential drawbacks.

IMO, nothing about that scene equates to love/lust at first sight. But, how about if he stumbles over the curb, bumps his head, leaves a small cut, no one else cares, she goes over to help him up and dab at the blood, and he says something really clever?

Quote Originally Posted by vranger View Post
    I'm not criticizing you, IR, but I'm am SO sick and tired of movies where the male love interest has a three day stubble. Where did that come from? It scratches when he kisses, and we won't even mention other potential drawbacks.

IMO, nothing about that scene equates to love/lust at first sight. But, how about if he stumbles over the curb, bumps his head, leaves a small cut, no one else cares, she goes over to help him up and dab at the blood, and he says something really clever?
    I know - I know. That's the way this character was described from the beginning (#2 of the 5 novel series - this book is #5) so I have to keep on with it. I've decided for the FMC to NOT be attracted to him when she first sees him, thinking he looks scruffy. My partner suggested that FMC see him do an act of kindness, which might compel her to speak to him.

Quote Originally Posted by indianroads View Post
    that's the way this character was described from the beginning (#2 of the 5 novel series - this book is #5) so I have to keep on with it.
    Wait, does this whole series take place in the same day? Is this dude's facial hair in some kind of magical stasis where it cannot grow, nor be shaven?

Blog Entries
    Something that would catch my eye, easily as much or more than the physical attributes of a guy, are other things that are specific to that person:

Physicality, how they move, confidence

A look in the eye, how does he approach the world in general?

Voice/manner. Doesn't matter if a guy is physically amazing to look at, if he sounds or acts like a jerk I don't want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiender View Post
    Wait, does this whole series take place in the same day? Is this dude's facial hair in some kind of magical stasis where it cannot grow, nor be shaven?
    Well - it's sci-fi, so it's complicated.

The character is an android. His personality developed as a process his virtual presence matched it. He was introduced in the second novel in the series and at that time he appeared as a hologram. In the fourth novel in the series he showed up again, but in the intervening 600 years between the books he built a physical body for himself - and as his looks match his personality (woodsy / earthy) he kept the form.

The fifth novel (WIP) is 2K years after the fourth, and he looks the same.

The FMC that sees him (for the first time) is also an android.

Blog Entries
    Fair enough, androids. So let's take the principles I have in mind and try to generalize so that they cover (I'm assuming sentient) androids.

Self-interest is a motivator of attraction.

Human examples:
    "You're hawt which is great because I'm mostly interested in sex"
    "You're pretty and would make good arm candy"
    "You seem kind and I don't want to be hurt"
    "You seem caring, I want to be taken care of"
    "You seem knowledgeable, maybe you won't lead me wrong"
    Etc.

So if your androids are sentient enough to experience attraction, then they probably can experience some degree of self-interest. I don't know your characters well enough to know what a sentient android wants in a relationship.

But I'd focus on something(s) that indicate to the observer that this guy is a strong possibility to satisfy whatever her desires/needs are.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxee View Post
    Fair enough, androids. So let's take the principles I have in mind and try to generalize so that they cover (I'm assuming sentient) androids.

Self-interest is a motivator of attraction.

Human examples:
    "You're hawt which is great because I'm mostly interested in sex"
    "You're pretty and would make good arm candy"
    "You seem kind and I don't want to be hurt"
    "You seem caring, I want to be taken care of"
    "You seem knowledgeable, maybe you won't lead me wrong"
    Etc.

So if your androids are sentient enough to experience attraction, then they probably can experience some degree of self-interest. I don't know your characters well enough to know what a sentient android wants in a relationship.

But I'd focus on something(s) that indicate to the observer that this guy is a strong possibility to satisfy whatever her desires/needs are.
    Companionship is their goal - but in the end, isn't it the same for us all? FMC has partnered with humans (obviously they were content with no children), but each time they die her heart (figuratively) is broken. The male android has lived alone for a very long time, and is lonely.

FMC's key trait is to nurture. She has raised and buried generations of one human family, and the last of that line has died (humans are dying out / becoming extinct).

Male android key trait is curiosity. He has explored the universe, and observed civilizations of all kinds of species fall, and he wonders why that must be.

The androids have stayed with and helped humans survive, and now as they numbers decrease they are evolving into something beyond their physical form (think: Childhood's End by Clarke). The series ends (this is the final novel) with the humans gone and the androids hoping to join them in whatever lies beyond this realm.

Blog Entries
    Very cool premise. I think I'd like this.