Torn between two cover designs - your input? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Torn between two cover designs - your input?

I don't like any of the 3.
    The first one, with the glass...I could see what you were trying to do, but the fonts were too small and thin, and would be illegible when the image is thumbnailed on Amazon. I liked the glass and thought you needed more of it, but the fonts needed some beefing up.

The 2nd and 3rd covers were...less good.

Try shopping for some professional clipart at canstockphoto.com. You can buy a hi-rez image for $7 and use it for up to 50,000 copies. You can also buy custom fonts that will stand out much more than those stock fonts you are using. Also, don't be afraid to use a different font for the title and author name. They do not have to be the same.

When you are all done, test your cover by thumbnailing it to see how it will look on Amazon. Lots of cover designs fall apart during this test.

Yeah the new glass one is not too bad, for me. Is the actual blue colour of the dot significant? I assume the genre is crime or thriller.

Ralph R makes an interesting point about the font though. I see some neat effects acheived by mixing up fonts. In my dabblings in such things, I understand that mixing fonts is a well-established design decision.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Tweaked the grid font:

(Still contemplating a shadowed shape of significance I could put in the background)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XS DP Cover Crosshair.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	25802
    "We learn more by fixing mistakes than we ever would have if things had gone right in the first place."
    --Keith Bontrager

Yeah, the broken glass looked a little gimmicky to me. I like the sleek clean look of the cover you just posted again with some slight revisions. I dunno...the "O" in "point" looks kinda cool. I also like the soft glow of the letters against the dark blue background.

I can definitely see readers madly scrambling to grab a pen and notepad, assuming that the letters in the background are concealing a secret code that will throw a whole new light on the contents of the entire book!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123