What's Your Biggest Editing Challenge? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's Your Biggest Editing Challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by James Leggott View Post
    I can't comment about non-fiction, I've only written fiction (as that is what I am interested in).
    So do you mean not to share your own personal biases when developing themes and characters? I have never thought about it before, but I guess it can be a problem with your target audience, if for example you bring politics into it.

But in some cases, is it ok to express a bias, provided it doesn't cause any harm to anyone?
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    So do you mean not to share your own personal biases when developing themes and characters? I have never thought about it before, but I guess it can be a problem with your target audience, if for example you bring politics into it.

But in some cases, is it ok to express a bias, provided it doesn't cause any harm to anyone?
    Well I try not to cause harm to anyone, but somebody is always going to get offended by something, no matter what you do. So don't do it intentionally and you should be fine.
    You can find my novels here: Hidden Content

Dialogue.
    “Some held her to be insane; some, of a lawless and rebellious spirit.”

-Mary E. Wilkins Freeman, "The Revolt of 'Mother' "

The words, man. All the freaking words.
    "A word after a word after a word is power."
    -Margaret Atwood

Spaghetti monster plots.
    "Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

My biggest editorial challenge is applying the fixes I insist on others implementing, to my own work. It's been ... revelatory.

And tightening up my character's through-line / motivation. I've had a rare thought about that this morning and it's looking like another rewrite. But this one I am excited about.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Ennui...
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123