What's Your Biggest Editing Challenge? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Biggest Editing Challenge?

Probably using superfluous language. Repeating myself constantly. No new information. Really annoying.

Using the wrong words. Their, instead of there or they're. Were instead of where or wear. Drives me crazy!
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Turnbull View Post
    Probably using superfluous language. Repeating myself constantly. No new information. Really annoying.
    Do you mean going over things several times, just using different words, not saying different things, but saying the same thing in different ways? Know that one!
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Using the wrong words. Their, instead of there or they're. Were instead of where or wear. Drives me crazy!
    You are not alone in that, it's very common as far as I can see. I found some old school books a while ago when we moved, including spelling tests. I think I felt that if a word was in a spelling test is was probably a difficult one designed to catch you out, there were lots with unnecessary things like 'wh' 'gh' or 'ph' in them for 'w', 'g' and 'f'

At least you are aware, that will probably mean you get on top of it in time.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

"Funny or stupid?"

I ask myself that question several dozen times on every draft. Sometimes I'm wrong. Also I'm really great at just leaving out entire words from sentences, then filling in the blanks when I'm re-reading without ever noticing that they're missing.
    "A word after a word after a word is power."
    -Margaret Atwood

Quote Originally Posted by James Leggott View Post
    Not to be biased
    That's in interesting one. I had to think about it for a moment.

Is it only a problem for non-fiction? Or can it be a problem for fiction as well?
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

Keeping sentences reasonably short. It is entirely possible to write a page-long sentence in my native language and still be both grammatically-correct and make sense, but I've been repeatedly informed that it's not common or good practice in English and confuses the readers.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberWar View Post
    Keeping sentences reasonably short. It is entirely possible to write a page-long sentence in my native language and still be both grammatically-correct and make sense, but I've been repeatedly informed that it's not common or good practice in English and confuses the readers.
    CW, short sentences are good for a punch. But I confess to a love of long sentences, I think because that is how I sometimes talk! LOL.
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    That's in interesting one. I had to think about it for a moment.

Is it only a problem for non-fiction? Or can it be a problem for fiction as well?
    I can't comment about non-fiction, I've only written fiction (as that is what I am interested in).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast